Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jaypatel1447
Frequent Visitor

How to change data type as Text from ID in PowerBI

I am using data from Sharepoint List. The lookup column data type should display in Text format but It showing ID. 

Showing ID.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
Dei

This sounds like what I came her looking for so I'll throw out my solution in case it helps anyone else. NO CODING REQUIRED! 

I created 3 different content types for my list, with "normal names" (Final, Interim, 30-60 Final). They showed in Power BI like this (there were 3 versions, which corresponded to each of my "normal" content types. 

Dei_0-1705800470704.png

I guess that's the "Content type ID" but I need the actual name for my reports. 

I was able to figure out which was which b/c in my list there were thousands Finals, hundreds of Interims & only a handful of the "30-60s". If your numbers are closer, try using another identifying field for that row to figure it out. If that makes sense. 

If you select a cell, it shows a preview of it under the table, you can copy it from there for the next step if need be (I know I was not typing all those characters manually!)

Once you know, you can right click on the column with the "messy" data/names and select Replace Values

Dei_1-1705800619746.png

In the dialogue, paste the "messy text" in the Value to Find and what you want in the Replace With field. There are over 7,000 records in my list & it took about 20 seconds total to replace all of them. 

There are some advanced options, I didn't need them, but you might.  

Dei_2-1705800849527.png

Hope this helps! 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jaypatel1447 ,

Based on my research, this may be a SharePoint problem.

You can get details from this post: SharePoint Column Names Appear Corrupted When Importing to PBI.

Some workarounds:

1. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-retrieve-quot-correct-quot-column-names-from-SharePo...

sharepoint.PNG

2. https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-retrieve-quot-correct-quot-column-names-from-SharePo...

sharepoint2.PNG

3. SHAREPOINT LIST POWER BI TEMPLATE

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen this before where I created a Sharepoint list and created a new column. Later I changed the newly created column name but later found out that the column name code that is created behind the scenes didn't change to what I expected it to. I can't recall if the column that I changed was one of the default columns that gets automatically created when you first create the Sharepoint list or if this issue happened with a column that I created myself but then changed the name later on.

Try creating a brand new Sharepoint list and create the new column with the column name you want specifically to see if that does anything. I think this issue you're seeing is more with Sharepoint.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

In the modeling tab, you have an option for doing so. Hope that will work for you.

Data Format.png

Still didnt work. I dont know why the name of that column chnage from PerformnaceCriteria1 toPerformnaceCriteria1 _id? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.