Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

williamd40
Regular Visitor

How to change a parameter to replace characters and save it to a new parameter

Is there a way to change a string parameter to replace certain characters and then save this to a new parameter, such that if the first parameter is changed then the second one automatically updates as well? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi! I was trying to create a parameter that was based off a user given string. This string is then passed into an sql query with a bunch of special characters escaped. I did this through passing it to the SQL query like "% stringName %" and then adding a bunch of .textReplace(). Like this:  "% stringName%.textReplace().textReplace().textReplace() %".

I was trying to get to a way of escaping those characters, this was the best solution I found

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

you cannot dynamically create parameters. Please provide a more detailed explanation of what you are aiming to achieve. What have you tried and where are you stuck?

Hi! I was trying to create a parameter that was based off a user given string. This string is then passed into an sql query with a bunch of special characters escaped. I did this through passing it to the SQL query like "% stringName %" and then adding a bunch of .textReplace(). Like this:  "% stringName%.textReplace().textReplace().textReplace() %".

I was trying to get to a way of escaping those characters, this was the best solution I found

I'm still not clear what you are trying to achieve. Can you give an example?

The scenario was:

User wants to know the count of a certain string based on an SQL query

That string my contain single and double quotes, and [ or ]

These needed to be escaped automatically prior to being passed into the sql query, and turned into a %

The user needed to be able to change the string on demand and then have power bi update the tiles

I was trying to find out how to be able to pass in this string as a parameter to the sql query in power bi, with those charcaters automatically escaped

In order to do this, I passed it into the query through a parameter, then used .textReplace() a bunch of times to escape all those characters

I was originally trying to use a power bi M query to achieve this, however the parameter wasn't being successfully updated

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.