Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DWJames
Regular Visitor

How to append quotation marks to a text string?

Hi All,

I have successfully used the combine.text function to adapt my incoming data stream into the format I want and this is going great, but I have a specific text string which I need to append a quotation mark to, but I can't work out the syntax to do so.

All I need is the ability to change 123 to be 123" 

What is the syntax for treating a quotation mark as a text string?

so I can write

Text.Combine({[#"raw_width"],"text"},"")

which gives me 123text as an output

but what can I replace "text" with in order to give an output of 123" ?

thanks in advance,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

In Power Query, the escape character for a quotation mark inside a string is represented as ""(two quotation marks).

For example, a string containing a single quotation mark would be written as

""""

(four quotation marks), which just so happens to be the string with which your "text" string should be replaced.

EDITED:

Apparently, you can't post here four quotation marks in a row outside of a "code element".

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to append quotation marks to a text string while using Push Data API ? I am gettiing Bad Request message.

dineshkalla

Convert double quote into %22 while hitting the url

itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

In Power Query, the escape character for a quotation mark inside a string is represented as ""(two quotation marks).

For example, a string containing a single quotation mark would be written as

""""

(four quotation marks), which just so happens to be the string with which your "text" string should be replaced.

EDITED:

Apparently, you can't post here four quotation marks in a row outside of a "code element".

Note that the results of copying from the Power Query preview grid will be wrapped in double-quotes. I found copying from the preview pane at the bottom worked better for me when testing. Thanks for the answer above!

works perfect 🙂 thanks for your help,

J

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

For example, a string containing a single quotation mark would be written as """", which just so happens to be the string with which your "text" string should be replaced.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.