Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

zzzzoooo
Frequent Visitor

How to access a dataset online at the same time as another connection ?

Hi,

I have a structure (based on product) that I use on a lot of different reports on different files. Instead of creating the same structure in every file, I've tried to create a Power BI dataset, and publish it. From a new BI file, I could get data from that structure, but I can't get anything else after. Similarly, for my exisiting BI file where I have a connection to a database, I can't connect to that structure dataset neither.

So, the question is: is there anyway to connect to that 'Structure' dataset which is already upload online ?

If we really can't, then how would you approach the situation where a lot of different BI files use the same structure ? While we can add the same structure into different files, the maintenance of that structure will then become very heavy.

Thank you for your help.

2 REPLIES 2

Yes, this is possible using a new(ish) feature in power bi called dataflows. Dataflows allow you to  create a new "Table" in the Power BI service and then connect multiple reports to that single entity. this has three major benefits

-Reusability: as you just build this once

-consistency: as its built-in one place every report is using the same code

-Performance: because you would only need to run this once, then multiple reports can then use it.

You can look at the link I included at the top or watch this video by GuyInaCube for a quick introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veuxofp0ZIg

Thank you very much. It's really appreciated.

But somehow, on my BI Services, when trying to add the Dataflow in the 'Create' drop-down list, I don't see that option at all. Under 'Create', I just see : Dashboard, Report, Dataset and Streaming dataset.

Should I do anything before that to get the Dataflow ? Or this option is restricted in my organization ?

Once again, thank you for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.