Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

HelpAccount
Frequent Visitor

How to Slice on mulitple columns not values within a column

I'm trying to create a slicer where you select different columns and those columns appear inside a slicer and you can select which columns are shown on the report. Currnently I can only find a way of selecting one column to go inside a slicer and then the data within that column appears as the different options.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HelpAccount,

I try to reproduce your scenario as follows.

I create the sample data table named Test.

Capture1.PNG

Slicer is used to filter rows. So I right click the table->Edit Query, select all the columns->click Unpivot columns under Transfer on home page. Select Close&Apply, you will get the following table.

Capture2.PNG

Create a slicer including Attribute column, and a table visual including value column. When you select the A, it will return all values under A field. When you select B, it will changes automatically.

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

If you have other issues, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @HelpAccount,

I try to reproduce your scenario as follows.

I create the sample data table named Test.

Capture1.PNG

Slicer is used to filter rows. So I right click the table->Edit Query, select all the columns->click Unpivot columns under Transfer on home page. Select Close&Apply, you will get the following table.

Capture2.PNG

Create a slicer including Attribute column, and a table visual including value column. When you select the A, it will return all values under A field. When you select B, it will changes automatically.

Capture3.PNGCapture4.PNG

If you have other issues, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks that works great!

One more questions. Imagine in your example I have letters that go all the way to Z so the list is very large. Is there a way to add hierarchies so I can group some of the letters together. Or alternatively add additional columns at the top which are a sum of multiple letters?

Example: A-E becomes one option, F-P another, Q-Z another. Then either you have the individual letters below this or even better you can expand the above 3 options?

Hi @HelpAccount

Please add a calculated column to calculate groups, please reference to this similar case.

Then select the new calculated column and value->unpivot, you will get expected result.

Best Regards,
Angelia

I used SUM to combine multiple columns. Is the correct calculated column? It appears in the report view but not the data view. I cannot find an option for value/ unpivot.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.