Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Canknucklehead
Helper II
Helper II

How to Replace Invalid Data in a Column?

Hi All,

I'm not certain that this can even be done, but I know this is the place to ask.

We have a connection to a DB2 database. In one table there is invalid date information in a column. (And no, I can't clean up the data source, as much as I'd like to).

For Example: Field is Last Date Received. Some dates entered are 9999/12/31 and the default entry if left blank is 0001/01/01. Apparently we can not have a blank entry in this field.

When it imports to PowerBI the 0001 date shows nothing at all in the desktop view of the table. If I go into Power Query it shows as 0001/01/01 in the column. The 9999 date shows as an actual date in the desktop and Power Query windows.

Is there a way to duplicate this column and replace the 0001/01/01 date entry with <null> or <blank>? I'm trying to do some calculations based on date and the visuals don't work - the Last Date Received shows nothing, but when calculating if it is late or early compared to our Purchase Date, Power BI calculates it is -700000+ days late. I've tried using the Remove Errors, but Power BI doesn't recognize 0001/01/01 as an error, but does indicate it is an invalid date format. 😕

Sample visual:

Canknucklehead_0-1614090638872.png

What it should look like:

Canknucklehead_1-1614090701039.png

As always, any and all help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Canknucklehead , In dax you can try a new column like

if([date] = date(1,1,1) || [Date] = date(9999,12,31), blank(), [date])

I have not tested this

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
VijayP
Super User
Super User

@Canknucklehead 

In Power Query Right Click on the Column where you are getting 0001/01/01 ,right click Replace values  replace 0001/01/01 with null and that should place null and accordingly you can have cleaned data. Let me know if it works

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Proud to be a Super User!

This wouldn't work as the column is a Date column and the replaced value needed to be in a Date format. It won't allow me to put in <blank> or <null> or anything other than a date.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Canknucklehead , In dax you can try a new column like

if([date] = date(1,1,1) || [Date] = date(9999,12,31), blank(), [date])

I have not tested this

This worked! Thanks very much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.