Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amconnel
Resolver II
Resolver II

Creating and formatting a legend for multiple charts

Hi,

I am trying to create a single legend that explains multiple similar charts. I have attached a photo of what this looks like in Tableau, and I am trying to recreate this same result in Power BI (picture also attached). All help is appreciated!

Power BI missing legendPower BI missing legend

Tableau with legendTableau with legend

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amconnel
Resolver II
Resolver II

Solution by Seth_C_Bauer

First, create a color theme with all the colors in the order you want. A simple tool to create this JSON theme can be found here at PowerBI.tips. -> Under the Theme Generator (there are multiple versions)

Second, create a bar chart with the legend, and maybe a made of measure with a value of 1. Remove all x/y axis/title etc from the chart but leave the legend.

This can be your overall legend for the 3 visuals, at which point you could disable the legend from all the donut charts. It would also work as a slicer for all of them.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amconnel
Resolver II
Resolver II

Solution by Seth_C_Bauer

First, create a color theme with all the colors in the order you want. A simple tool to create this JSON theme can be found here at PowerBI.tips. -> Under the Theme Generator (there are multiple versions)

Second, create a bar chart with the legend, and maybe a made of measure with a value of 1. Remove all x/y axis/title etc from the chart but leave the legend.

This can be your overall legend for the 3 visuals, at which point you could disable the legend from all the donut charts. It would also work as a slicer for all of them.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amconnel ,what is axis , This seems like two columns, Two columns with concatenated label off. Sort on box axis will expand all. And use small muliples

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.