Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I remove duplicates in a column BUT retain the null and blank cells ?

I have a 3 columns of serial numbers, IMEI numbers and phone numbers. I want to remove the duplicates from each column BUT keep the BLANK and NULL cells. Is there a measure to remove the duplicates in all 3 columns BUT keep the NULL and BLANK rows and how do I implement this measure ? The table is named "serial" and the columns are named "IMEI", "Serial Number" and "Phone Number".

8 REPLIES 8
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

This is not clear since you want to remove duplicates in measures, it is not possible to have them in the same visual without duplicates. If you able to show us an exact output table you are expecting, it would be clear. 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

could you pls provide the sample data and expected output?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

tempsnip.pngI have 3 columns in a table called "serial" with "Serial Number" IMEI" and "Phone Number".  There are some empty cells and the word "null" in some.  I need to remove duplicates AND retain the blank cells and null cells.

@Anonymous 

can we do that in PQ?

select all three columns and remove duplicates.

1.png

this usually works for me. It will only remove duplicates if all columns selected are exactly the same. So, if trying to remove duplicate ESN's or some unique number... it will still keep records with different name or whatever other colun you slect before clicking "remove duplicates"

could you pls provide the sample data (not the screenshot) and the expected output?

S_JB
Resolver III
Resolver III

I have seen the following thread which has some potential solutions:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53314845/power-bi-remove-duplicates-but-keep-null-values 

Hopefully this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  Did not resolve.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors