Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I copy a visual into Powerpoint? No copy icon anywhere.

My research says there's supposed to be a copy icon, or an option in More Options.  The only way I can find to copy is to right click on the visual and select Copy Visual.  But when I try to paste it, the paste option is greyed out.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous 

It seems the "copy visual icon" is only available in the online PBI Service (which requires publishing the report).

However, I'm glad that at least the screen capture option from within PowerPoint is an acceptable workaround.

Just out out curiosity, why don't you publish your reports?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

A fairly new option is available in the PBI service. There is an icon to allow you to copy a visual directly and paste it wherever:

Copy visual.jpg

Another neat little trick if you are working on a document in Power Point, is to use the screen capture tool directly in Power Point (just make sure your PBI doc/page is active in the backround). It's like using the snippet tool but slightly more efficient (apologies since my Office is in Spanish):

PPt snippet.jpg

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The copy icon is exactly what I am looking for.  I saw that it's a new feature, and I'm on the most current version of BI, so I'm very frustrated it's not showing.  Thank you very much for teaching me the screen capture from within Powerpoint.  I tried it and it's got much better resolution then the old way, so this may end up being what I have to use.

@Anonymous 

It seems the "copy visual icon" is only available in the online PBI Service (which requires publishing the report).

However, I'm glad that at least the screen capture option from within PowerPoint is an acceptable workaround.

Just out out curiosity, why don't you publish your reports?

Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah!  That makes sense.  Thanks, I was going crazy!  I am very new and am testing the software out for the small company I work for.  I'm using the Desktop version because it's free.  I'm brand new and have been using the system to handles large quantities of data and play around with graphs that I had planned to put into the Powerpoint to share with my company, as no one else has used this before.  My previous company had Tableau, and I was thinking this would be a good (free) replacement.  

@Anonymous 

Well, welcome to the enthralling experience of Power BI!!

Just FYI, you can use the online Power BI service for free too.

You only need a Pro license (which requires a fee) if you are going to share the report with other people in your organisation. You can even publish your reports to the web (important caveat: only do this is your data is NOT confidential) and share the link with whoever you want. (I do this on my website to showcase examples of PBI reports (again, none of these reports contain any form of confidential info). Here is an example (apologies, since it is in Spanish):

Covid-19 report for Spain and worldwide 

Another reason to consider publishing to the PBI service is that it is MUCH better to showcase the benefits of PBI (interactivity, RLS etc) to management/other members of your organisation.

so go ahead, and give it a go!

Paul on Linkedin.

Ajinkya369
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hey @Anonymous ,

You can either export to pdf for getting high quality images and then convert the pdf to jpeg using any online converter and finally use the image in your Powerpoint presentation.

If your problem is solved then please accept this reply as a solution

Thank you

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hopefully this helps, but this mostly applies to Published Dashbaords:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-copy-paste

I usually use Snipping Tool in Windows to capture Visuals manually, or if needed in Power BI Desktop, you can File -> Export -> to PDF.  (However, from App.PowerBI.com, once published you can Export whole Workbooks as PPTs files also!)

image.png

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, but I'm on Desktop and don't publish.  I had understood there was a way to copy the visuals based on an article by Microsoft touting this feature in April 2020.

Thanks for your help.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

COPY VISUAL functionality in Power BI, is just to copy a visual within different Power BI Reports.

• You can try using "SNIPPING TOOL" to cut paste image from Power BI to Powerpoint.
  • Publish your report to Power BI Service and export your report to a powerpoint.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hello there,

I was just wondering why I can only copy visual with description from the Myworkspace. Exporting whole report is now an option because of PP layout standards that I have and copying visual without description would be amazing, but I don't see the way to do it.

Thank you in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, but the image quality isn't as good as I wanted.  I had understood there was a way to copy the visuals based on an article by Microsoft touting this feature in April 2020.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.