Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ClackamasAshley
Frequent Visitor

How Many Separate Cases (Distinct Case Numbers) Are Really In My Data Set??

Hi, is there an obvious reason why the measure I created to count all the distinct case numbers in my report, Total Cases = DISTINCTCOUNT ('M43'[Case Number]), is over 200 cases less than what the disticnt value total in the data view is showing when I highlight the same column (Case Number) the measure was created with? There are NO FILTERS on either the view or the report that I could find, I started completly form scratch. I'm sorry, I can't send my workbook over, the data is domestic violence crime data and I would have to scrub almost everything which would proably change up the row numbers drastically anyway since there is a lot of duplicated involved persons/relationship data for each case.

I have attached screenshots of both of these values, that in theory, I thought should be exactly the same. Which one is right, how many separate cases do I actually have in my data set? Please help me understand this discrepency. Thank you anyone!

Ashley

Data View Shot showing 1,097 distinct case number values

ClackamasAshley_1-1683154615538.png

Report View Showing Distinct Count Measure Value of 862 total cases

ClackamasAshley_2-1683154696600.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Wilson_
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello,

Dumb question: Is that not a year filter in the top right? Unless there is only 2022 data in M43 and/or there is no existing relationship between whatever table that 2022 filter is in and the M43 table?

----------------------------------
If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it quickly. Also, don't forget to hit that thumbs up and subscribe! (Oh, uh, wrong platform?)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ClackamasAshley
Frequent Visitor

Oh my goodness you are right, my new-user mind completley missed that. It all adds up now. Thank you for looking into it and catching in a screenshot what I couldn't in the whole workbook. Apprecaite it!

haha no worries, sometimes it just takes a second pair of eyes. 😄

Wilson_
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello,

Dumb question: Is that not a year filter in the top right? Unless there is only 2022 data in M43 and/or there is no existing relationship between whatever table that 2022 filter is in and the M43 table?

----------------------------------
If this post helps, please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it quickly. Also, don't forget to hit that thumbs up and subscribe! (Oh, uh, wrong platform?)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.