Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

smatesic
Helper I
Helper I

Hierarchy and filtering

I have a table which contains group_id, group_name and parent_id

Is it possible to filter by groups so that child groups are included? 

Basically, I want to show data in PBI desktop the way it's shown in Application I collect data from, and that's something like this:

1. Group1

1.1 Subgroup 

1.2 Subgroup 

2. Group2

2.1 Subgroup 

2.1.1 Element of subgroup

In PBI I have all these groups shown in one table, on one level.

2 REPLIES 2
Balazs
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

It's probably late, but I think I understand what you wanted. Group > Subgroup hiearchy. As long as your categories in one coloumn you can create two subgroups one large and one smaller. You need to do it one by one ie. group than subgroup1, subgroup2.

You need to create a "treemap". In the treemap Put your large group (subgroup1) onto "Group" field and put your smaller group onto "Details". You actual field goes to "Values". As long as all the elements of subgroup2 are also in subgroup1 (of course not your all elements should be the other way arround) the colour saturation will present you a group within the group, while other categoires will be presented with individual colours.

If you don't want to present your values on the tree map, you can add to the same page a card/matrix/table. Create relation ship between your categories in "Modelling" > "Manage Relationships" if needed.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

A matrix visualization might get you what you want, but perhaps I am not understanding what you are trying to accomplish.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.