Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help working with linked data from two SQL databases in Direct Query mode

I am working from 2 SQL server sources using DirectQuery. In SQL server A, Event_ProductID is an integer, and in SQL Server B, "productID" is a string but it should be a matching field between the two and it did allow me to make a 1 (product table) to many (event table) relationship, but it's not letting me create visuals with both of these tables contributing columns. 

The 'Product' table comes from SQL server A and has the following columns:

Cost, Name, productID

The 'Event' table comes from SQL server B and has the following columns:

EventOwner, Event_ProductID, Event_SessionName, Event_Location

I was thinking i could maybe make a new table with productID, name, EventOwner and Event_SessionName and use that for my visualisations but the RELATED function doesn't seem to be working and I'm a bit stuck at this point.

Any advice on how to make a new table referencing both these tables and converting productID to an integer on the fly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I was really looking for was the function LOOKUPVALUE. All sorted now, thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I was really looking for was the function LOOKUPVALUE. All sorted now, thanks!

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
For many to many relationship, only RELATEDTABLE function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs function. If you want to use RELATED function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs, you may create a mid table using distinct([column]), then link both tables to the mid table with 1 to many relationship.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , if the product ID is not unique in one of the tables you will get M-M to join. You can have a table in import mode (composite mode) and use that. Create a product table in import mode and use that with both databases.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.