Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Help working with linked data from two SQL databases in Direct Query mode

I am working from 2 SQL server sources using DirectQuery. In SQL server A, Event_ProductID is an integer, and in SQL Server B, "productID" is a string but it should be a matching field between the two and it did allow me to make a 1 (product table) to many (event table) relationship, but it's not letting me create visuals with both of these tables contributing columns. 

The 'Product' table comes from SQL server A and has the following columns:

Cost, Name, productID

The 'Event' table comes from SQL server B and has the following columns:

EventOwner, Event_ProductID, Event_SessionName, Event_Location

I was thinking i could maybe make a new table with productID, name, EventOwner and Event_SessionName and use that for my visualisations but the RELATED function doesn't seem to be working and I'm a bit stuck at this point.

Any advice on how to make a new table referencing both these tables and converting productID to an integer on the fly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I was really looking for was the function LOOKUPVALUE. All sorted now, thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I was really looking for was the function LOOKUPVALUE. All sorted now, thanks!

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
For many to many relationship, only RELATEDTABLE function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs function. If you want to use RELATED function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Docs, you may create a mid table using distinct([column]), then link both tables to the mid table with 1 to many relationship.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , if the product ID is not unique in one of the tables you will get M-M to join. You can have a table in import mode (composite mode) and use that. Create a product table in import mode and use that with both databases.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.