Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomperro
Helper III
Helper III

Help with storing measure and calculated columns

I am trying to create reports that show employee perfomance over time by measuring multiple dimension.
One of the dimensions that I am trying to show is if an employee has performed a task in each hour of the day (8 hour max).

I am currently getting a unique count of the hour field for each employee. 
If the unique count is 8 or more, the score is 100%.  If the unique count is 6, the score is 75% (6/8).
I have this formula working as a calculated column on the employees row in the employee table. I am alos "rolling" this up to show on an overall department level.

There are many other formulas or dimensions that I am looking to create.

Is a calculated column the best way to do this or is there another option?

2 REPLIES 2
AnalyticsWizard
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@tomperro 

Creating reports to measure employee performance over time involves considering various dimensions and metrics. While calculated columns can be useful for certain scenarios, there are alternative approaches in Power BI that might better suit your needs. Let’s explore some options:

1. Calculated Columns:

• Pros:
      • Calculated columns are straightforward to create.
      • They allow you to pre-calculate values and store them in the data model.
    • Cons:
      • Calculated columns increase the data model size.
      • They don’t dynamically adjust based on slicers or filters.
      • They can’t be used for aggregations (e.g., sum, average) directly.
  2. Measures (DAX):

• Pros:
      • Measures are dynamic and respond to slicers and filters.
      • They allow for aggregations and calculations on the fly.
      • Measures are memory-efficient.
    • Cons:
      • Measures are evaluated at query time, which can impact performance for large datasets.
      • Complex measures may require more DAX knowledge.
  3. Matrix Visuals and Slicers:

• Use matrix visuals to display employee performance metrics over time.
    • Create slicers for dimensions like hours of the day, days of the week, etc.
    • Measures can be used to calculate percentages, counts, or other metrics.
  4. Custom Visuals and KPI Cards:

• Explore custom visuals available in Power BI.
    • KPI cards allow you to display key performance indicators (KPIs) with thresholds (e.g., 100%, 75%).
    • Custom visuals can enhance the user experience.
  5. Hierarchies and Drill-Through:

• Create hierarchies (e.g., year > month > day > hour) for time-based analysis.
    • Use drill-through functionality to explore details at different levels.
  6. Advanced Analytics and AI:

• Leverage Power BI’s advanced analytics features (e.g., forecasting, clustering, sentiment analysis).
    • Consider using AI models for predictive insights.
  7. Row-Level Security (RLS):

• Implement RLS to restrict data access based on user roles.
    • Ensure that employees see only their relevant data.

In summary, while calculated columns can be useful for certain scenarios, measures (DAX) are often more flexible and efficient for dynamic calculations. Consider a combination of measures, visuals, and advanced features to create comprehensive employee performance reports.

Remember that the best approach depends on your specific requirements, data model, and user experience. Experiment with different options to find what works best for your organization. 😊

@AnalyticsWizard 
Thank you for the response, however I am still not sure what the best way to go about this is.  
I have created calculated columns and they are working as intended but I need a way to "store" these values.
The dashboard shows a realtime look at my data but I need to have the abiliy to calulate these scores for previous time periods and be able to see how each employee scored over the past year or past quarter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.