Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mbnumb6
Regular Visitor

Help with filtering on two different columns for drillthroughs

Hi everyone,

I need help with filtering for drillthrough purposes.

Ok originally I had a column called "Annual Obectives". That column orginally had multiple values in a cell. So when I was trying to create a pie chart based off that column, it wasn't working correctly because there was more then one value in a cell. To solve that problem I simply split the column into two as seen in the first screenshot.

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.42.44 AM.png

  
Now I am trying to create a pie graph that captures both column's values. I also don't want every single value from both columns to be displayed in this pie graph. That means I'd like to have this pie graph filtered down to a select few values, examples like only show "Reduce Agent Calls, Improve Ease of Use..." and NOT have "System Maintenace".

I am running into two problems:

First as seen in the second screenshot

Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 9.48.56 AM.png

As seen in the screenshot above, the problem I am running into is when trying to filter one column, it affects the second one. Am I apporaching this correctly? Do I need to make a measure to solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mbnumb6 ,

For the first question, you can create multiple visuals, turn on cross-filtering, or remove filters.

You can refer to the following posts that may be helpful to you:

Change how visuals interact in a report - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Solved: Bypass Keep All Filters on Drillthrough - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Exclude specific field from drillthrough filter - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Drillthrough - removing filters - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Drillthrough ignores ALL filter - Microsoft Power BI Community

For the second question, this is by design.

You can post your idea to Ideas .

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mbnumb6
Regular Visitor

I followed your advice reading the links. To make this easier I simply decieded to create a custom column that used the CONTAIN function to look at the column that had multiple values. Felt like that was the easier way to do it rather then splitting the columns up and using mulitple filters. 

v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mbnumb6 ,

For the first question, you can create multiple visuals, turn on cross-filtering, or remove filters.

You can refer to the following posts that may be helpful to you:

Change how visuals interact in a report - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Solved: Bypass Keep All Filters on Drillthrough - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Exclude specific field from drillthrough filter - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Drillthrough - removing filters - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: Drillthrough ignores ALL filter - Microsoft Power BI Community

For the second question, this is by design.

You can post your idea to Ideas .

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.