Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

WDarwish
Frequent Visitor

Help with counting behavior

Apologies if the subject is not 100% clear - it is difficult to describe as English is not my native language.

I have a simplified data set that represents my problem. Also attached sample PBIX.

Sample PBIX

Source IDRow IDValueIs Visible?
AA10False
AA20True
AB3True
BC4True
BC7False
BD1True
BD6False
BD11False

I want to create the following behavior in Power BI:

• Display ONLY visible items in a table (achieved with visual-level filter)
  • Display a card visual containing the number of invisible items
  • When clicking on a row in the table, have the card visual update to the number of invisible items from the same Source ID and Row ID

image.png

So opening the Power BI with no selections would give count of invisible = 4. But clicking on first row (A, A), counter should update to 1 (in attached it goes BLANK). Clicking on row (A,B) should give 0. Row (B, C) should give 1. Row (B,D) should give 2.

I am trying to build this in, but no matter what I try, cross-filtering gives BLANK in the counter. For example, in below screenshot, I want it to give 2.

image.png

This is an oversimplified example, so the solution will be retrofitted into the original report.

Please help? Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@WDarwish for card, add this following measure and you don't need visual level filter on card whcih you currently have.

Invisible Count = 
CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( 'Sample' ), NOT 'Sample'[Is Visible?] )  

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

@WDarwish Basically that measure is saying just ignore any filter on Is Visible  and just count where Is Visible is False

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@WDarwish for card, add this following measure and you don't need visual level filter on card whcih you currently have.

Invisible Count = 
CALCULATE( COUNTROWS( 'Sample' ), NOT 'Sample'[Is Visible?] )  

Is it really this simple? Are you a magician? 😄

Seriously though, do you mind explaining the logic of how it works? I understand the individual functions used in the measure, but I do not understand how they combine to filter out data and count only rows of concern.

@WDarwish Basically that measure is saying just ignore any filter on Is Visible  and just count where Is Visible is False

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.