Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
campelliann
Post Patron
Post Patron

Help with Gateways

Hi there,

So until now I have been working with a coleague developer, we both have our personal mode gateways. Usually for a certain report we have the gateways on my machine, and if I go on vacations she turns the gateway on hers.

I recently discovered that we can both share the same enterprise gateway.  2 questions:

1) Can we have both the same gateway (or cluster ) running on each of our machines, so if my machine goes down for some reason we have hers?
2) Its similar to one, but lets say I need to install the gateway on 5 different Virtual Machines for acessing 5 SQL Server DB. Can I use the same gateway on all machines. Do I need to create 5 different users or something.. How does this work?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @campelliann ,

from an architectural point of view, I do not recommend using the Power BI gateway in personal mode. I always recommend using the gateway in standard mode (fka - enterprise gateway).

Install the gateway on a server machine that is always up and running.

One gateway can support more than one data source, for this reason it's not necessary to install 5 gateways for your 5 SQL Server..

From a security point of view I recommend using 5 different accounts that are used when the data source is established.
If you are using windows authenticataion you also need a dedicated account running the gateway. I recommend reading this article: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @campelliann ,

from an architectural point of view, I do not recommend using the Power BI gateway in personal mode. I always recommend using the gateway in standard mode (fka - enterprise gateway).

Install the gateway on a server machine that is always up and running.

One gateway can support more than one data source, for this reason it's not necessary to install 5 gateways for your 5 SQL Server..

From a security point of view I recommend using 5 different accounts that are used when the data source is established.
If you are using windows authenticataion you also need a dedicated account running the gateway. I recommend reading this article: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Hmm thanks @TomMartens. But lets say I have 5 different SQL databases, on 5 different remote machines, and that I also need VPN for all.
Lets say I install the gateway on a server that has the 5 vpns always on. I believe this would work. But if I am not able to have the VPN always on, I would need to install the gateway directly on the virtual/remote machines, right?

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

I am not sure about no2, but yes to 1, maybe this can help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPFRLy6XL1s

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exciting changes

Power BI Community Changes

Check out the changes to the Power BI Community announced at Build.

May 2023 update

Power BI May 2023 Update

Find out more about the May 2023 update.

Kudo Data Story carousel

Data Stories Gallery

Visit our Data Stories Gallery and give kudos to your favorite Data Stories.

Top Solution Authors