Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Grant82
Frequent Visitor

Help on slicing by column name

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to Power BI (I downloaded it for the first time a few weeks ago and have been on youtube since) and I've built a solution and dashboard for an email campaign. Most of it seems to work great, but recently I had an idea for a graph where we show data progressing over time for an area, but instead of showing all areas at one, I want to add a slicer to view one at a time. As I'm very much a beginner, I will post everything I can, in case I need to change my solution in different stages. 

Project Overview

It's a monthly community email called a talent community that includes 2 areas - Culture articles and Job articles. The campaign platform drops a CSV each month of raw data in a network folder. I've setup Excel to check that folder, grab all the CSV's and merge them together into a table called Raw Data. Power BI then connects to that table and pulls the data in - to be displayed in my dashboard. 

Problem

With only doing a 'Get Data from File' I can create some great graphs like the following-

a1.PNG

But what I want to do is take all the Culture Themes click data (a culture theme for example is Diversity, Equality or Legal), and represent them in a line graph, but have a slicer so you need to pick one theme at a time. Here's an example of what I want, but I've tricked it so it's just one Theme setup as opposed to all themes being added, and the slicer doing the work. Hope that makes sense!

a2.PNG

So, when I try to set up the functionaility properly, I have set them up like so - but I can only add in one Theme from the first Raw Data table - when I try to add in more they just replace the first theme instead of adding to. 

a3.PNG

And if I unclick the selection it still seems to give me the same data despite the legend showing all themes (so I would expect 14 lines in the chart - one for each).

a4.PNG

To get here, I imported the same data table twice creating a new table Raw Data 2. I then created an active relationship from my last email sent colum in Raw Data 1 to same in Raw Data 2. I then went into Transform for Raw Data 2, and selected Last Email Sent, then click Unpivot Others, like so-

a5.PNG

and

a6.PNG

And the data itself-

Raw Data

a7.PNG

Raw Data 2

a8.PNG

And here's my example data - on the left is column name and on the right is the first row of data.

Column Name----First Row of Data
Source.Name----Dummy 1.xls
Email template----Global - EN - Blank Email Template - Theme 1
Total people----200
First email----18/05/2023 9:16
Last email----18/05/2023 9:16
No action----5
People who opened----90
Click-through----25
Invalid contact info----0
Bounced----0
Unsubscribed----0
People emailed----200
People reached----200
Marked as spam----0
Clicked - image:LinkedIn----3
Clicked - image:Facebook----4
Clicked - image:Instagram----3
Clicked - image:YouTube----5
Clicked - image:Twitter----6
Clicked - Sustainability----2
Clicked - Technology----4
Clicked - Finance----6
Clicked - Human Resources----8
Clicked - Procurement----5
Clicked - Diversity----4
Clicked - Equality----6
Clicked - Partnerships----7
Clicked - Financial----6
Clicked - Legal----7
Clicked - Positivity----5
Clicked - Market----5
Clicked - Career Development----5
Clicked - Career Support----6
Clicked - Research----6
Clicked - Country----5
Clicked - International----5
Clicked - Leadership----4
Clicked - Administrative----7
Clicked - Advisory----4
Clicked - Business Performance----7
Clicked - Business Processing/Operations----5
Clicked - Client Relationship Management----6
Clicked - Communications----5
Clicked - Corporate Services----5
Clicked - Corporate Sustainability----1
Clicked - Customer Services Management----7
Clicked - Data and Analytics----5
Clicked - Secretariat----7
Clicked - Marketing----4
Clicked - Branch/Contact Centre Management----9
Clicked - Product Management/Development----6
Clicked - Project Services----8
Clicked - Research_1----5
Clicked - Risk Compliance----4
Clicked - Sales----5
Clicked - Strategy Management----5
Clicked - Trading Services----4

So with all that said, how do I do what I'm trying to do and be able to show a theme's monthly line data correctly, and slice by theme which is a column name?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Grant82 

According to your description, you want to " be able to show a theme's monthly line data correctly, and slice by theme which is a column name".

For your raw data , this data format is useless for analysis in Power BI, you can use RawData2 directly.

Here are the steps you can refer to :
(1)This is my test data , i have only one table like your Raw Data2:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1685504954141.png

(2)We just need to put this fields on the visual and we can see the "Attribute" we selected in the slicer :

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1685505058577.png

If this method does not meet your needs, you can provide us with your special sample data and the desired output sample data in the form of tables, so that we can better help you solve the problem. (You can also upload you sample .pbix [without sensitive data] to the OneDrive and share with the OneDrive link to me ! )

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @Grant82 

According to your description, you want to " be able to show a theme's monthly line data correctly, and slice by theme which is a column name".

For your raw data , this data format is useless for analysis in Power BI, you can use RawData2 directly.

Here are the steps you can refer to :
(1)This is my test data , i have only one table like your Raw Data2:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1685504954141.png

(2)We just need to put this fields on the visual and we can see the "Attribute" we selected in the slicer :

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1685505058577.png

If this method does not meet your needs, you can provide us with your special sample data and the desired output sample data in the form of tables, so that we can better help you solve the problem. (You can also upload you sample .pbix [without sensitive data] to the OneDrive and share with the OneDrive link to me ! )

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you I got this to work - I had to redo the table unpivot, taking out all attributes that had alphabetical values - I was just getting the Count option previously. Then I was able to get to where you demonstrated above. Is there a way now to update the attribute vales (by that I mean the column names - or in this pic, the Culture Themes) so that I can take out all the "Clicked - image:" and only show the text after?

a10.PNG

Hi , @Grant82 

Thanks for your reply , you can try to click "New Column" create a calcualted column  in Power BI Desktop :

Column = MID([Attribute],SEARCH( "-" , [Attribute])+2 , LEN([Attribute])-SEARCH( "-" , [Attribute])) 

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1685583460077.png

Then you can use this new column as the field.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

That's awesome thank you! One more - I'm almost there - is there any way to increase the area that the columns use so that they're not just tightly clustered in the middle of the graph?

a14.PNG

Hi , @Grant82 

This is the default behavior for placing a Legend, and will display your bar chart in-display, and cannot change the surrounding width.

If you want to display the Attribute value of a certain month and display it in a scattered manner, then you cannot place the Attribute on the Legend, but only on the X axis:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1685592425663.png

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.