Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GarradAM
Frequent Visitor

Help: Adding Two Filtered Totals Together / Manual Input

Hi All,

I'm very new to Power BI and have been learning the software to create some simple revenue visualizations for my clients. In the scenerio I am struggling with, I have two table visuals that are individually filtering from the same data source. The tables have two different totals using a measure (to calculate a percentage of the total) and a filter.  They work great individually, but I can't get the two numbers to add together.

LEFT TIER 1  (multiplying the filtered Tier 1 total by a percentage):
Averaged # of Doors =
SUM('Anchor Tiers'[Average # of Doors]) * SUM('% of Doors'[% of Doors Estimated])

RIGHT TIER 2:
Filtered to just show "tier 2" accounts based on the Distributor slicers on the left.

The slicers on the left are locked as filtered to "Tier 1" and the right is locked as filtered to "Tier 2," both pulling from the same data source. Basically, set 1 is pulling top accounts, set 2 is pulling lower level of accounts.

Capture.JPG

I'm trying to do two things....

1) I'd like to add the two totals together. When I try a simple quick measure, it shows up blank. When I remove the filtering, it shows a full total - but I need a total of the 'filtered' numbers. I tried putting the filters in DAX, but I need them to be adjustable by the user and not set within a measure.

Capture4.JPG

2) I'd then like to have an "input" box where a user can type a number. I thought I achieved it, but it keeps rounding down / up when I enter a number higher than 100, even though I have it set to be in integers of 1.

Capture3.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I've searched through all past posts about similar situations, but none of the solutions are working in this scenerio. ANY help / guidance / input would be greatly appreciated for this newbie!!!!

3 REPLIES 3
flath
Helper II
Helper II

Hi!

This situation seems to be related to modeling.

Most of times, when we have a measure that calculates properly when no filter is applied, but shows blank when filters from different tables are applied, it tells us that the relationship between those tables aren't functioning.

I don't know if I understood your second situation.

I'll need more detail about the table where the column created with de GENERATESERIES and about where it is applied (a slicer?).

Thanks for the reply!

I messed with the relationships involved with the totals that need to be added together, but still am not able to get a combined total - and now my multiplication measure to figure a percentage has stopped working. I've changed the data so it's using the same table, same data source - just 2 different sets of filters spitting 2 different totals into 2 table visuals. There's got to be an obvious step that I'm missing to be able to use the totals in measures.

The GENERATESERIES table was used to create a series of 1-10000 and was added to a slicer as a "Single Value" option. Basically, since I wasn't able to figure the totals of the two sets of slicers, I wanted a field where the numbers could be entered manually for a different set of calculations. But when I enter 150, it defaults to 121. 

The overall model I am trying to accomplish is this:

• ONE data source
  • User selects slicers to get first total number.
  • User selects second set of slicers to get a second (additional) number.
  • Both totals added together, and combined number is used in a set of calculations to figure a dollar amount.

Hi!

I believe it could be helpful if you could share an example of your data, it doesn't need to show actual values, you can change it to random values and fictional descriptions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.