Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

amien
Helper IV
Helper IV

HeadCount in Power Query M

Headcount = CALCULATE (DISTINCTCOUNT(Contracts[id]), FILTER (Contracts, Contracts[Start Date] <= CALCULATE(MAX (Calendar[Date]))), FILTER (Contracts, Contracts[End Date] >= CALCULATE(MIN(Calendar[Date]))))

I have this code in DAX for HeadCount. Works fine, but when you start selecting dimensions, there is a pause of 3-4 seconds before the result is shown. I wonder if doing this in M would be faster.

Anyone got an example of this? 

2 REPLIES 2

How big is your contracts table?  Filter on data tables can be slow. There is a better way - I know because Marco Russo challenged me with a homework question last week after I wrote this post. http://exceleratorbi.com.au/double-calculate-solves-sumx-problem/

I havent had a chance to sit and think it through, but note the comment from Andrey at the above post - that could be a better answer. 

If you note a better result, please post back. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

The table looks now like this:

id, startime, endtime

there are like 200.000 records. I guess it needs to be unpivot in some way. In did this with another bi tool, and it generated 40mil records. This was a record for each day for each id as long as it was running. But a month M-calculation will also be fine i guess.

I will test the Andrey code 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.