Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carlacervonif
Frequent Visitor

Having trouble calculating order fulfillment with orders, on hand inventory and transit inventory

I am working on a report that will forecast what items we have or will have in stock vs. items we don't have stock for. I have 3 files I'm working with:

1. Order Report

2. Inventory report

3. Transit report (with in and pre transit)

I also have a date table and an item table (list of all items the company sells). The order report has request date which is connected to the date table and ordered item connected to the item table. Likewise, the Transit report is connected with the date table (by schedule arrival date) and item table (by item). Inventory report is only connected to the item table because there is no date (everything is on hand). 
My issue is that when I create a table and add Date (from date table), Item (from Item table), Ordered Quantity, On Hand, and Transit, nothing shows up for transit even though I know there is inventory and it shows in Power Query. Please help.

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@carlacervonif I think I'm out of options without looking at it, everything seems to be in the right place. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@carlacervonif can you share the DAX expression for the measure calculations, especially for the transit table? It is getting a bit hard to figure out what could be wrong without looking at things. I hope you understand.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

I understand! Here are the DAX formulas for the measures I mentioned:

1.  Ordered Quantiy = SUM('Order Report'[Quantity])

2. Cumulative Quantity = CALCULATE([Ordered Quantity],FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Date Table'), 'Date Table'[Date Value] <= MAX('Date Table'[Date Value])))

3. On Hand Inventory = SUM('Inventory Report'[Qty])

4. Transit Quantity = SUM('Total Transit'[Quantity])

5. Cumulative Transit = CALCULATE([Transit Quantity],FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Date Table'), 'Date Table'[Date Value] <= MAX('Date Table'[Date Value])))

6. Running Value = [On Hand Inventory] + [Cumulative Transit] - [Cumulative Quantity]

I hope that helps more!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@carlacervonif very hard to tell, are you using any measures? if yes, what is this measure? any filters on the visual? And also I assume these are single direction relationships.

Yes, all relationships are single direction. I'm using an "Ordered Quantity" measure that is just the sum of the Ordered Quantity column, "Cumulative Quantity" which is the cumulative ordered quantity for a given item, "On Hand Inventory" which is just the sum of quantities in the inventory report, "Cumulative Transit" which is the cumulative transit quantities for each item, and "Running Value" which is On Hand Inventory + Cumulative Transit - Cumulative Quantity. Let me know what you think!

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@carlacervonif can you confirm the date column purely contains the date value, not a time value? If it has time value then remove the time from this column (keep it purely a date value column)

I can confirm that the date column is only date, not time!

carlacervonif
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response! What would you suggest I do in regards to the Transit table?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@carlacervonif You explained your question very well, Kudos to you! Based on the information you shared, it should work. Check if the date column in the Transit table has a time value in it, make sure to strip off the time if it is there, and then check. Seems like the relationship between the date dimension and the transit table is not working.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.