Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Having both grouped and separated fields in a table

Is there a way to have both items grouped and seperated in a given table?

Example:

Device
Android
Windows
Mac OS
iOS
Kingston

What I need to have:

Device
Android
Windows
Mac OS
iOS
Kingston
Desktop (new grouped value contains Mac OS and Windows)

Knowing that I want to use it in a filter:

filter sclicer.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This can be done by creating a new column as a conditional or custom column after going to data transformation:

MohannadSh1996_0-1610453846625.png

Then to union create a new table contains the unioned values from both original device column and the new extracted device:

AllDevice = CALCULATETABLE(UNION(VALUES(Table[Device]),VALUES(Table[Device2])))

This new table (AllDevices) can be used as a slicer.

For filteration you may use this:
FILTER(Table, OR(Table[Device] IN VALUES(AllDevices[Device]),Table[Device1] IN VALUES(AllDevices[Device]))

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

This can be done by creating a new column as a conditional or custom column after going to data transformation:

MohannadSh1996_0-1610453846625.png

Then to union create a new table contains the unioned values from both original device column and the new extracted device:

AllDevice = CALCULATETABLE(UNION(VALUES(Table[Device]),VALUES(Table[Device2])))

This new table (AllDevices) can be used as a slicer.

For filteration you may use this:
FILTER(Table, OR(Table[Device] IN VALUES(AllDevices[Device]),Table[Device1] IN VALUES(AllDevices[Device]))

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MohannadSh1996 , actually if create a new column

power query

if [Device] in {"Windows", "Mac OS"} then "Desktop" else [Device]

Dax

If([Device] in {"Windows", "Mac OS"}, "Desktop", [Device])

Then you have drill down kind of structure. But you option to add value means you have create an independent table with all these values and append Desktop to it.

And then based in value change filter values

I think that the following dax function will not extract both seperated and grouped:
If([Device] in {"Windows", "Mac OS"}, "Desktop", [Device])

Instead It will have a new table with the following values: Extracted Devices Table = {iOS, Android, Kingston, Desktop}; without Mac and WindowsAlso I have a lot of values other than Windows & Mac OS that I didn't mention in the question which I think it is hard to count.

BTW, suppose that we unioned all the values from these two tables (Device and Extracted Devices Table), how to filter based on this new table to show both Mac and Windows in case of desktop! 

@MohannadSh1996 , A mesure like

measure =
var _1 = countx(filter(allselected(Device),Device[Device] = "Desktop"), Device[Device])+0
return
if(_1 >0 , calculate(countrows(Table), filter(Table, (Table[device] in values(Device[Device]) || Table[device] in {"Windows", "Mac OS"}))),
calculate(countrows(Table), filter(Table, (Table[device] in values(Device[Device])))))

Device table is not joined with table

Maybe we can do the following:

FILTER(Table1, OR(Table[Device] IN VALUES(AllValuesTable[Device]),ExtractedTable[Device] IN VALUES(AllValuesTable[Device]))

where AllValuesTable is the merged values between origianal and extracted table.

This solution worked for me 

Hi, @MohannadSh1996 

Glad to hear that you have solved the problem by yourself, would you like to mark your own reply as a solution so that others can learn from it too?

Thanks in advance!

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I will add the whole solution before marking it as a solution

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @MohannadSh1996,

is it okay to to duplicate your data for windows and mac rows?

I am thinking of creating another column where you use as filter like the photo below

2021_01_07_13_32_40_Untitled_Power_Query_Editor.png

I  have a big size data that I don't think it is fine to duplicate it.
But maybe we can extend just the Device values table to include new two items windows, mac os and group them while keeping the original ones.

BTW, How to duplicate these specific two values? 

to duplicate the values, you will can create two columns where one is as it is and the other one, you sub with desktop. then unpivot them.

Device Device1 Device2
Android Android Android
Windows Windows Desktop
Mac OS Mac OS Desktop
iOS iOS iOS
Kingston Kingston Kingston

like this, then unpivot device1 and device2.

hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.