Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

TomasPac
Helper I
Helper I

How to make a table filtered by specific category

Hello I need a table that would take one column and consider it as a category for the table values. 

I will attach screen shots of what I mean.

1. Here's my table which has a column named "Object", and many more columns that are filtered by the Objects.

I must mention that "Object" comes from another table as you can see on the right. Relationship is made inside Power BI.

first.PNG

2. So the goal is to see the same values filtered by object names as categories like at the example screenshot.

example:

sec.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TomasPac ,

You could use Matrix visual and use category column as slicer.

4.PNG

5.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TomasPac ,

You could use Matrix visual and use category column as slicer.

4.PNG

5.PNG

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

This is kind of what I am looking for, but the problem with matrix that I need many subcategories from the main category, maybe you have a solution for a category to have more than one sub categories?

In this example you have sent, main category is the "type" and sub category is the "value", but what I need is main category "type" and sub categories like "values for quantity", "values for date", "values for amount" and so on.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@TomasPac , Not very clear. You should have object in a common table, so that it can filter all the tables

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.
Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.
Appreciate your Kudos.

I need only one table,

My example that I have attached is for supply orders.

I'll try to explain my example:

1. The column "Object" in my table holds site names, which are making supply orders.

2. Each site has it's own orders as a table row.

3. There are many different kind of data for an order, like "supplier", "quantity", "price", "date planned" and so on.

So right now if one "Object" has 5 supply orders, my table has 5 different rows with the same "Object" value.

What I need is "Object" values to be like a category for every other subcategory and value, like in my screenshot no.2

For example if "Object" values are site1 and site2 so the table should look like this:

Object | order no | quantity | price | date planned

site1-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

order1 10 10 2021-01-01

order2 20 20 2021-01-01

site2-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

order3 15 30 2021-01-12

order4 40 5 2021-01-07

Is this more clear?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.