Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

koenjinosora
Regular Visitor

HELP PLEASE! Create columns based on grouped ID

Dear all, 

Nice to meet you. I am a beginner in Power BI and this is my first message. 

I have been searching a way to pivot my table as below, but I could not find the solution yet. 

What I have now is a table with 3 columns like this: 

ID X Y
1 34536 57574
1 27192 84732
1 89607 80505
2 61718 98192
2 73829 74628

I would like to group the ID and have new columns for each occurrence of X and Y, like this: 

ID X_1 Y_1 X_2 Y_2 X_3 Y_3
1 34536 57574 27192 84732 89607 80505
2 61718 98192 73829 

Thank you very much in advance for your precious help! 

Best regards, 

Antoine 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @koenjinosora,

What you need is not impossible.

Please try the code below and paste to a Blank Query Advance Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Pcu5DcAwDEPRXVS7sE5Ksxjef41YDpLqAR/kWsQ0SM01jg6H0R5vFXDJMQ0qf82KiXb69Ft7EwzOY2V/vgpNqdZCkvZ+AA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, X = _t, Y = _t]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"ID"}, {{"ALL", each _, type table [ID=nullable number, X=nullable number, Y=nullable number]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each Table.AddIndexColumn([ALL], "IndexByID", 1)),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"X", "Y", "IndexByID"}, {"X", "Y", "IndexByID"}),
    #"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns" = Table.Unpivot(#"Expanded Custom", {"X", "Y"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns", "Custom", each [Attribute] & "_" & Number.ToText([IndexByID])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"ALL", "IndexByID", "Attribute"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Custom]), "Custom", "Value"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Pivoted Column",{{"X_1", Int64.Type}, {"Y_1", Int64.Type}, {"X_2", Int64.Type}, {"Y_2", Int64.Type}, {"X_3", Int64.Type}, {"Y_3", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Untitled.png

But..

What is the maximum count of your X/Y per ID?

Please take note that it is better not to do like this if you have more X/Y because you are creating multiple columns per ID.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You may download my PBI file from here.

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Thank you very much both Ashish and Mussaenda!

You are welcome.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
koenjinosora
Regular Visitor

Thank you very much both Ashish and Mussaenda! it's working! 

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

You may download my PBI file from here.

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @koenjinosora,

What you need is not impossible.

Please try the code below and paste to a Blank Query Advance Editor

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Pcu5DcAwDEPRXVS7sE5Ksxjef41YDpLqAR/kWsQ0SM01jg6H0R5vFXDJMQ0qf82KiXb69Ft7EwzOY2V/vgpNqdZCkvZ+AA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, X = _t, Y = _t]),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"ID"}, {{"ALL", each _, type table [ID=nullable number, X=nullable number, Y=nullable number]}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Custom", each Table.AddIndexColumn([ALL], "IndexByID", 1)),
    #"Expanded Custom" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom", {"X", "Y", "IndexByID"}, {"X", "Y", "IndexByID"}),
    #"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns" = Table.Unpivot(#"Expanded Custom", {"X", "Y"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Only Selected Columns", "Custom", each [Attribute] & "_" & Number.ToText([IndexByID])),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Custom1",{"ALL", "IndexByID", "Attribute"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns"[Custom]), "Custom", "Value"),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Pivoted Column",{{"X_1", Int64.Type}, {"Y_1", Int64.Type}, {"X_2", Int64.Type}, {"Y_2", Int64.Type}, {"X_3", Int64.Type}, {"Y_3", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type"

Untitled.png

But..

What is the maximum count of your X/Y per ID?

Please take note that it is better not to do like this if you have more X/Y because you are creating multiple columns per ID.

Hope this helps!

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

@koenjinosora 

Hi Antoine,

Why do you need to transform the table from the correct tabular layout to the 2nd layout with multiple columsn for X/Y co-ords?  What is the result you are trying to achieve?

You're probably better off adding another Index column to uniquely identify each set of co-ords.

Regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Hello Phil, thank you very much for your help. The data I'm willing to create is the x y coordinates of different vertices of polygons (ID), coming from GIS shapefile. I need to convert to the second format in order to import it to a java based programming software. 

koenjinosora
Regular Visitor

It seems that it's impossible...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.