Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

ericOnline
Post Patron
Post Patron

HELP: Line chart VALUES NOT COUNTS!

I'm having trouble here. Not sure what I'm missing. 

Scenario

• Two tables; both have exact same column names
  • One table is forecasted values, other is actual values
  • Relationship screen shows 1-to-1 for both tables
  • There is a date column; both tables have the same dates
  • There is a temperature column; each table has different temps and I want to show the difference between tables

I can't figure out how plot the differences between the two charts on a line or stacked bar chart! When I pull temperature column of one table to the "Value" field of the visual, I get a "Count of Temperatures". I don't want a COUNT, I want to see all temperatures over the time period. 

So then I drag the time column to the "Axis" field of the visual. Cool, I get a time scale along the x axis with "100%" showing for each temperature COUNT.

Basically, how do I change the visual to show me the VALUE of the temperature column over time instead of the COUNT of temperature readings?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ericOnline,

Why did you use the 100% Stacked Column Chart while you don't like the % columns? Maybe you can use another visual instead. If you can share a sample file, please upload it to the cloud drive like OneDrive, GoogleDrive, then share the download link here.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
kkerr

For anyone still looking at this problem, I resolved this same issue by changing the summarization to SUM under properties with the y-axis value I wanted. I then added the y-axis value to the line graph as the Sum of "value". If the values are distinct across your x-axis, then you'll see the actual value populate on your graph.

Markzolotoy
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Carlw Keep pushing it, we have no choice.

Yes, don't use it. Every once a year I try and create a graph or scrape some data. Invariably, i.e. EVERY TIME, there's an issue. Oh you can only do this if it's a Tuesday with a full moon. Any errors don't provide any useful feedback.

It's like the std msft way of describing things. For example: "to perform or implement function "x", turn on your computer, select the software and implement said function". Wow was that ever helpful!!

So no I can't be bothered with BI right now.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Generally you get this behavior because your column is of type Text and you probably don't want that. Check your data type. If it really is a number, you can drop down the little arrow for the column in the Values area and change the aggregation.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

No, you can't do squat. 

2020-12-12_20-46-02.png

We can talk about slicing and dicing all we want. Fact is Power BI is making far too many assumptions and playing games. I went far in my schooling in a scientific field. Whenever we make a bar graph, or line graph or a giraff, YOU PRESENT YOUR X-AXIS AND Y-AXIS VALUES. Nobody asked for PowerBI to do this, and its not even intuitive on how to turn that mess off. What it looks like is kids that can program and then show that they set up this tool, not the way real people actually use data but with snazzy filters, from the get go. NO ONE WANTS THAT AT THE BEGINNING. HOW WELSE ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO VERIFY THE DATA??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is how I feel every time I try to do anything in power bi.  It's incredible how poorly designed it is.

Here's another example of how bad power bi is:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Is-there-a-way-to-vertically-center-text-in-a-text-box/td-p...

I only use it because I am forced to for my job.  I will never recomend it to anyone ever.

I hear you. It's all so bad that this is the second time trying to respond. First time a box popped up asking if I'd like to give feedback. It blew away everything I wrote and took me to another page. WTF?????!!!!

Yes for sure I  will up my subscription for the pro version now. NOT

Hi @Greg_Deckler, thank you for the reply. 

I changed the dataType to decimal number and am having similar behavior. Dragging the "temperature" column to "Value" gives me a SUM this time instead of a COUNT (same thing?). 

If I click the dropdown next to "temperature" the only options are SUM, AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, COUNT(distinct), COUNT, STANDARD DEV, VARIANCE, MEDIAN. 

Where is "VALUE OF THE ACTUAL FIELD"?

Well, if you have your axis granular enough to display at the individual row level, then SUM, AVERAGE, MIN, MAX, etc. don't matter (except for COUNT, COUNT bad), they are all the value of that specific row. In certain settings, you will get a "Do not summarize" option, but that is not for all visuals.

Latest book!:

Hm. The Y axis is labeled "%", and each measure is "100%" which makes no sense to me! Each of these should be a temperature value. Each values in this column is a temperature measurement (EX: "48.99", "48.00", etc.). 

YOU SHOULDNT HAVE TO SHARE ANY REDICULOUS. YOU SIMPLY WANT A SIMPLE GRAPH DISPLAYING THE DATA. NO PERCENTAGES, NO SUMS NO PERCENTAGES. THE DATA!!!!!!

The reason people say that is they probably have never used real data in their life and just know how to play around with these programs, which BTW is badly setup therefore.

Strange, any way that you can share the PBIX file or provide sample/example source data?

Latest book!:

Sure. Attached is the .pbix file. I don't have the "Add Attachments" button when replying. Here are some screenshots that show the issue:

Data:

- Temp: decimal

- ObservedTime: dateTime

powerBIIssue2.png

Stacked Bar Chart Vis:

- Temp: Value

- ObservedTime: Axis

- YAxis showing as "%"

powerBIIssue1.png

OK, here is what I am guessing, at some point you clicked the little drop down arrow for your value and chose "Show As" | "% of Grand Total". Turn that off.

Latest book!:

Really appreciate you keeping the discussion alive @Greg_Deckler

Newp. I have "No Calculation" checked yet the % is still showing.

2018-10-22_15-21-24.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get the output? I am having the same issue, help!!

Hi @Anonymous , 

@Greg_Deckler 's suggestions worked:

"
Generally you get this behavior because your column is of type Text and you probably don't want that. Check your data type. If it really is a number, you can drop down the little arrow for the column in the Values area and change the aggregation.
"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohh, I just missed the second page of the solution! 

My problem is slightly different, but got it!! 

Thank you anyways!

Oh yeah, good call @v-jiascu-msft, missed that he was using the 100% stacked column chart. @ericOnline, you want the chart visual 2 to the left of the one you have now.

Latest book!:

Hi @ericOnline,

Why did you use the 100% Stacked Column Chart while you don't like the % columns? Maybe you can use another visual instead. If you can share a sample file, please upload it to the cloud drive like OneDrive, GoogleDrive, then share the download link here.

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.