Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TotunG
Resolver I
Resolver I

Getting value which is second highest date through date relationship table

Hi,

I have a main data table which has a relationship with a reference date table that is used to 'slice' values to compare them in a waterfall chart.

I essentially need a measure to give me the Value of the second highest date value but within the filter context of the Month slicer that is also active on the page. 

So without filter context, second highest date is: 01/11/23 and therefore value of 4. But I want this to be applied within filter context so say if  Month 12 is not included in the slicer, 2nd highest date would be 3 (01/03/23 - 22). 

There is a relationship between these below tables and the slicer is based on the Month column of the Date table.

Main Data:

DateValue
01/11/235
01/12/23

01/03/232
01/03/221

Month / Date Table:

MonthDate
1101/11/23
1201/12/23
301/03/23
301/03/22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TotunG ,

According to your description, here are my steps you can follow as a solution.

(1) My test data is the same as yours.

(2) We can create two measures. 

rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('Main Data'),'Main Data'[Date],MAX('Main Data'[Date]),DESC,Dense)
second highest date value = CALCULATE(MAX('Main Data'[Value]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Main Data'),'Main Data'[rank]=2))

(3) Then the result is as follows.

vtangjiemsft_0-1686189835366.png

vtangjiemsft_1-1686189861541.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TotunG ,

According to your description, here are my steps you can follow as a solution.

(1) My test data is the same as yours.

(2) We can create two measures. 

rank = RANKX(ALLSELECTED('Main Data'),'Main Data'[Date],MAX('Main Data'[Date]),DESC,Dense)
second highest date value = CALCULATE(MAX('Main Data'[Value]),FILTER(ALLSELECTED('Main Data'),'Main Data'[rank]=2))

(3) Then the result is as follows.

vtangjiemsft_0-1686189835366.png

vtangjiemsft_1-1686189861541.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Thank you for your input, although I think its a bit more complex due to the relationship of the date table that I dont think you cover. 

This Sample PBI might explain it better:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19KDNuA7CRElc-O1H8WwschGNoU29qUBv/view?usp=sharing

Hi @TotunG ,

The two tables in your pbix file do not have any date columns, please check your pbix file.

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.