Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asbpowerbi
Helper IV
Helper IV

Formatting columns -table visualization - data dictionary

Hello All,

I would like your advice. My company uses a lot of acronyms for field names in our tables. Currently in my reports, I have to go in and change the name of the field, from our acronym - to a word or phrase that would make sense to our customers. I have to do this for every field I display. There has to be a better way. What ways do you apply a 'customer facing' column name/definition to a lot of columns with accronyms for names?

Cheers!

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @asbpowerbi ,

I understand what you mean but unfortunately there is no direct way to create such tooltips, this is due to the design of Power BI Desktop, you can provide your ideas in the Idea forum.
You can refer to the following thread for a solution to create measures to design tooltips as an alternative.

Solved: Change tooltip message based on measure being hove... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @asbpowerbi ,

1.To rename a column in Power BI, simply navigate to the Fields pane, right-click on the column you wish to rename, and select Rename. Enter the customer-facing name you'd like to use. This change will only affect the report view and not the underlying dataset.

Power BI Desktop does not support batch alias modification for the time being, you can modify them one by one.

2.If your reports require extensive use of acronyms and technical terms, consider creating a data dictionary within Power BI. This can be a separate table or report page that defines each term or acronym used in your reports.

You can create a new table in Power BI using the Enter Data option, where you list all acronyms in one column and their definitions in another. This table can then be used as a reference within your report or shared with your report users.

3.Another approach is to use tooltips.To add a tooltip, select a visual and then go to the Format pane. Under the Tooltip section, you can customize the content that appears.

vtangjiemsft_0-1711607854397.png

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hello,

Thank you for the reply! is there a way to pull the tool tip description, based on the table and column that is being used? that looks like the best solution for me.

Cheers!

Peter

Hi @asbpowerbi ,

I understand what you mean but unfortunately there is no direct way to create such tooltips, this is due to the design of Power BI Desktop, you can provide your ideas in the Idea forum.
You can refer to the following thread for a solution to create measures to design tooltips as an alternative.

Solved: Change tooltip message based on measure being hove... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.