Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

richzhang
Regular Visitor

Formatting Incompatibility between Calculation Groups and Simple Waterfall Visual

I have a PBI report with a page showing waterfall chart using Simple Waterfall visual as Fig.1 below. The Data is from a measure and the data labels are formatted in percent with the PBI Formatting tools for a measure.

I have another visual using Tabular Editor Calculation Groups. When I tried to format a calculation items in the Formatting String Expression section, however, the waterfall chart lost the format as shown as Fig. 2. Is this an incompatibility issue between Tabular Editor and Simple Waterfall visual? Has anyone experienced similar issues before? Is a way to work around it? Thanks.

richzhang_1-1650401652710.png

richzhang_0-1650401547903.png

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @richzhang 

Is the calculation item added to the Simple Waterfall visual? If changing it into other waterfall visuals or other type of visuals, does the formatting work? 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing

Thanks for replying. No, the calculation item is not added to the Simple waterfall visual. Actually if I add a format string to any calculation item, the formatting on Simple waterfall will be lost. I didn't try other waterfall visuals becaue either they don't meet my needs or require a purchase - however, the formatting does work if changing to other type of visuals, e.g. bar chart.

@richzhang were you ever able to find an answer or workaround? Based on their github it looks like the developers are no longer supporting this visual, and I've run into the exact same issue (and almost exactly 1 year later to boot 🙂 )

Thanks,

David

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.