Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Xairan
Frequent Visitor

Filtering visuals using slicer that contains string from a different table

Hello,

I have two tables - a table with a Project List and a table with a Stakeholder register and each stakeholder is aligned with multiple projects. On the stakeholder dashboard I'm trying to use a slicer with just the Project name to filter some stakeholder visuals however I'm unable to create a correct relationship between the two tables to enable this.

Table 1: Project list

Project name
Project 1
Project 2
Project 3
Project 4
Project 5

Table 2: Stakeholder register

Stakeholder nameProject name
Stakeholder 1[List] e.g. [Project 1; Project 4]
Stakeholder 2Project 2; Project 3
Stakeholder 3Project 1; Project 2; Project 3; Project 5
Stakeholder 4Project 3; Project 5

I have tried the extracting values to new rows as the Project name is a SharePoint list and creating a many to one relationship between the two tables. While this works - I've also got issues as this duplicates stakeholders which messes up with the count of stakeholders etc.

I have also tried using a filter measure: https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Multiple-Contains-Filters-using-Visual-Filters/m-p... however while this works for data tables I'm unable to apply it with other visuals such as column graphs, card visuals etc. 

Is there a way to either generate a relationship between these two tables so the slicer works, or is there a filter measure I can apply to other visuals?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You've solved it already. "While this works".  The problem with duplicated stakeholders is not a problem.  This is how databases work.  You adjust any other measures to cope with this.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Xairan
Frequent Visitor

Thank you! Turns out I did solve it. I just added in a calculated column flagging each unique name using this https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Need-Flag-for-every-unique-value/td-p/438947 and created a filter on the page where that column equaled to 1.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

You've solved it already. "While this works".  The problem with duplicated stakeholders is not a problem.  This is how databases work.  You adjust any other measures to cope with this.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.