Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

StephenF
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Filtering dataflow

Anyway to request only certain rows from a dataflow like you can with a direct sql datasource?

I only want to get the most recent days data from a rather large dataflow table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StephenF,

I check the document of the rest API but did not find the corresponding API to achieve your requirement.

Dataflows - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

If you are working with the power bi dataset, you can enable the XMLA endpoint to accurately manage these.

Dataset connectivity and management with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

For this scenario, maybe you can try to use query parameter with your dataflow:

parameters-dataflows-power-bi-service-power-query-powerbi (p3adaptive.com)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rdnguyen
Helper V
Helper V

Yes, it is possible to siphon segment of datatable instead of take all using Power Query with filter condition.

I tried loading 2.5M records in two test dataflow, one load full and the other one has filter either by datetime or certain condition.

The full load from On primes to Power BI service took 30 sec for full load and 11 sec for filtered data into the second flow.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StephenF,

I check the document of the rest API but did not find the corresponding API to achieve your requirement.

Dataflows - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Microsoft Docs

If you are working with the power bi dataset, you can enable the XMLA endpoint to accurately manage these.

Dataset connectivity and management with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

For this scenario, maybe you can try to use query parameter with your dataflow:

parameters-dataflows-power-bi-service-power-query-powerbi (p3adaptive.com)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Begs the question why you use a dataflow in the first place? A dataset might have been a better solution.

Sadly, Microsoft are actually working on offering Direct Query for dataflows, by using an Azure SQL server database  as a front to the dataflow. Truly messed up, in my opinion.

StephenF
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Because I am working remotely and cant directly query the DB and dont have a vpn tunnel.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.