Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Tinus1905
Helper III
Helper III

Filter slicer with IF function

Hello, 

I want to use my slicer and when I select the value "Cars" then the output in my card has to be "Cars measure", when I select the value "Music" then the output in my card has to be "Music measure". 

I'm getting a error using the following measure:  

Filter = IF(FILTER('Sample Table', 'Sample Table'[Value3] = "Cars"), [Cars measure], [Music measure])

Filter slicer.png
7 REPLIES 7
AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I do not know exactly what you need  (single or multiple value ?), but you can try :

Filter = IF( SELECTEDVALUE('Sample Table'[Value3]) = "Cars"[Cars measure][Music measure])

Works with single values, but shloud be your case, isn't it ?

Let us know

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Tinus1905 ,

You don't use filter in this case.  Filter returns a table and cannot be used in a measure without being aggregated.

The old school to achieve your end result as by creating a disconnected table containing the measure you want which can be created using the Enter Data feature or DAX then use a IF or SWITCH to return the measure you want. Example

Switching Measure =
SWITCH (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'disconnected table'[measure name] ),
    "Cars", [Cars Measure],
    "Music", [Music Measure],
    "Something", [Something Measure]
)

A faster and more efficient way to do is with the use of Field Parameters.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Ah this works. But how do I use "NOT" in a value. For example: in the disconnected table [measure name] the list is longer with more names. 

"Cars", [Cars Measure],
    "Music", [Music Measure],
    "<>Cars", [Something Measure]
    "<>Music", [Something Measure]

The function <> isnt working. 

ChiragGarg2512
Super User
Super User

@Tinus1905 Use field parameters.

Videos and blogs for reference:

Power BI Field Parameters — A Quick way for Dynamic Visuals: https://amitchandak.medium.com/power-bi-field-parameters-a-quick-way-for-dynamic-visuals-fc4095ae9af...
Power BI Field Parameters- Measure Slicer and Axis/Dimension slicer: https://youtu.be/lqF3Wa1FllE
Switch TOPN with Field Parameters: https://amitchandak.medium.com/switch-topn-with-field-parameters-299a0ae3725f
Field Parameters- Conditional Formatting
: https://amitchandak.medium.com/field-parameters-conditional-formatting-517aacc23fdf

Thanks, I'll go through it

AilleryO
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi,

Be carefull with FILTER function which is an equivalent to CALCULATETABLE, so it means it returns a table which is not a valid argument for IF function.

You just need your test :

Filter = IF'Sample Table'[Value3] = "Cars"[Cars measure][Music measure])

Hope it helps

With thisd I get a error: 

A single value for column 'Value3' in table 'Sample Table' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.