Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Filter remains after removing Synced Slicer from a page with filters set.

Not sure when this started but recently I've noticed that if I had a filter set on a page and I delete it with filters selected it persists on that page.  Nothing shows in the filter pane but anything filtered out will not show on that page.  If I make a new page and then copy all the visuals they work without filters applied.

Seems to happen when you have synced slicers.  Unchecking the box to remove a synced slicer from a page causes the visible on checkbox to show selected, if you then uncheck the visible checkbox (2nd column with eyeball) if you had any filters set they will persist on that page even if you later change or clear the slicer that was orignally synced. 

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Sync slicer across multiple pages
  2. Filter using synced slicer
  3. From Sync Slicer control panel uncheck that slicer form one of the pages (the visible checkbox in the 2nd column will become selected)
  4. Uncheck the visible checkbox

The filter will remain on the page you removed it from with no indication in the filter panel and won't be cleared even if you change the orignal slicer. When removing the slicer it appears to be leaving an orphaned version of the slicer on that page that is hidden.  May be working as designed but the fitler should at least show on the page fitlers enabling you to clear it that way.

As a workaround I would suggest either to clear the filter before removing the slicer from one or more of the page, or clear the sync and then go to page(s) you want to remove the synced slicer from and delete the slicer from them by selected and hitting the delete key.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
les411
Advocate I
Advocate I

I ran into this problem as well. When I turned on the selection pane, I discovered several hidden slicers. Once I removed those, the page worked perfectly! It seems that when you delete a slicer that has a filter set, you are actually hiding the slicer. The only way to find the hidden slicers is by using the selection pane.

Here's the way I was able to remove "orphaned" slicers. 

1. Turn on the selection pane (View>Show>Selection Pane)
  2. Check the list for hidden slicer objects. Hidden objects are designated with a -- (they don't have an eye symbol)
  3. Turn on hidden slicers by clicking on the line to change it to an eye
  4. Clear the unwanted slicer and make sure it is no longer synced with any other pages by checking the sync slicers pane
  5. Delete the unwanted slicer

Hope this helps!!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
TickboxPhil
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Similar frustration here, and reported at https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Problems-with-Slicers-after-using-option-quot-Sync-Slicers-... 

I setup a bug report for it to be fixed - the info here should help them identify. Please vote for it to get rid of this hassle! https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Sync-Slicers-is-buggy-still-filters-even-after-un-selecting/... 

les411
Advocate I
Advocate I

I ran into this problem as well. When I turned on the selection pane, I discovered several hidden slicers. Once I removed those, the page worked perfectly! It seems that when you delete a slicer that has a filter set, you are actually hiding the slicer. The only way to find the hidden slicers is by using the selection pane.

Here's the way I was able to remove "orphaned" slicers. 

1. Turn on the selection pane (View>Show>Selection Pane)
  2. Check the list for hidden slicer objects. Hidden objects are designated with a -- (they don't have an eye symbol)
  3. Turn on hidden slicers by clicking on the line to change it to an eye
  4. Clear the unwanted slicer and make sure it is no longer synced with any other pages by checking the sync slicers pane
  5. Delete the unwanted slicer

Hope this helps!!

This is gold. You just saved me

Thank You!!!

It worked great for me! Thanks.

Thank you so much, June of 2021 is still a problem.

This was driving mme crazy, thanks for the solution, it was just what I needed to fix my issue. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much!

I faced the same issue. Your solution really healped! 

It worked perfectly.  Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried giving you two thumbs up! 

I'll accept as a soluiton but the intent was to provide feedback to others so they would not fall in to the same frustrating trap I found myself in 🙂

Apparently I have fallen into the same trap. Really frustrating.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to the View Tab (next to Home at very top).

Start at the first tab in the file

Select "Selection Pane". That will bring up a panel that shows what is impacting the tab. You will see an eye on the right side. That has an "x" on it if it is not visible. 

Select the hidden objects and make sure each one is supposed to be impacting the tab. I recommend doing that with the Synch Slicers tab open also to make sure you are deleting the correct hidden slicers. Also, if the slicer is old and should not be there, if it is synched to other tabs you can unsynch it and the last thing done is delete it.  

That should do it. 

The amount of time I spent cleaning up slicer is sad. I now use the synch tab always when asigning slicers.

Thanks for accepting as a solution - I agree that this is frustrating and Microsoft needs to look into this further. It's confusing that deleting a slicer only hides it.

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Seward12533,

Thanks for pointing out the problem and sharing the workaround which is very helpfult to others.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.