Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

j_ocean
Helper V
Helper V

Field Parameter Columns: What does each do and which can I hide?

If you use the feature to create a field parameter it returns a table with columns Parameter, Parameter Fields, and Parameter Order.

"Order" is self explanatory but between "Parameter" and "Parameter Fields," what is the difference and should I direct report builders to one or the other? 

In Data View "Fields" appears to be the fully-defined (table.column) equivalent of the "Parameter", but regardless of which I put in a visual the values and filter behavior seem to be the same, but both get the shorter "Parameter" label. So I'm guessing "Parameter Fields" is used internally and I can safely hide it. Is this correct or am I buying myself trouble?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
swikritee_p
Resolver II
Resolver II

The name in the parameter column will come, Other columns are hidden by default

Parameter = {
    ("State", NAMEOF('Geography'[State]), 0),
    ("City", NAMEOF('Geography'[City]), 1)
}

swikritee_p_0-1701295886461.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
swikritee_p
Resolver II
Resolver II

The name in the parameter column will come, Other columns are hidden by default

Parameter = {
    ("State", NAMEOF('Geography'[State]), 0),
    ("City", NAMEOF('Geography'[City]), 1)
}

swikritee_p_0-1701295886461.png

They weren't hidden by default, perhaps this was a change with a newer version than what I have. The screen grab calrifies the intent though, thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors