Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ibanez2000
Frequent Visitor

Feature Request: Add conditional column WITH data type

Dear Team,

I think it would be helpful if it was possible to set the data type for a newly inserted conditional column directly in the wizzard that helps to set the conditions.

Currently, "Add Column" -> "Conditional Column" will create a line of M like this:

GateInEmpty = Table.AddColumn(Source, "GateIn Empty", each if [GATEIN_DATE] = null then true else false),

Then we can either

1. add a new step to change the type of the column
  2. edit the M code in the formula bar or advanced editor to achieve a result like this:

GateInEmpty = Table.AddColumn(Source, "GateIn Empty", each if [GATEIN_DATE] = null then true else false, type logical),

In daily usage, I like to avoid the extra step, especially because i can't remember the m code for the types by heart, i always have to keep a short list in OneNote to look it up and copy & paste from there:

, Int64.Type

, type date

, type logical

So i think it would be nice to have a small dropdown menue in the conditional column wizzard to add the data type for the new column.

What do you think?

Best Wishes

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Ibanez2000 

I can already see datatype option there https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/table-addcolumn

Table.AddColumn(table as table, newColumnName as text, columnGenerator as function, optional columnType as nullable type) as table

does that not serve purpose

Dear  amitchandak,

Thank you for your reply.

I am aware that i can define the data type in the M query directly.

However I normally use the add conditional column feature from the Power BI GUI instead of writing the code by myself.

I would wish for this GUI window to have a data type selection option so that it can write the code accordingly for me automatically:

Ibanez2000_1-1662709528047.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.