Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

carinalou
Advocate I
Advocate I

Exclude tooltip field from chart title, OR create dynamic chart title displaying hierarchy level

I have a bar chart showing Sales by Category, with the option to drill down to Subcategory. I've included another field, Order Count, in the tooltip. When viewing the chart at the Category level, the automatic title is "Sales and Order Count by Category" and when viewing at the Subcategory level, it changes to "Sales and Order Count by Subcategory."

What I WANT to happen is that the title changes between "Sales by Category" and "Sales by Subcategory" depending on the drill down state. It should keep the dynamic behaviour, but exclude the name of the field in the tooltip.

I tried writing a measure for the title as below, but it just shows up as blank since I didn't specify an ELSE behavior. I don't think the title falls within the context of the drill down state to determine what's in scope.

IF( ISINSCOPE( Table[Subcategory]), "Sales by Subcategory",
IF( ISINSCOPE( Table[Category]), "Sales by Category"
))

Is there any other way to achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@carinalou I don't think TITLE can be dynamic the way you want as you said it doesn't have the scope of the current column on the x-axis but you can surely have a custom tooltip and show the values the way you want it, read more about it here. Create report tooltip pages in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
carinalou
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks for your suggestion.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@carinalou I don't think TITLE can be dynamic the way you want as you said it doesn't have the scope of the current column on the x-axis but you can surely have a custom tooltip and show the values the way you want it, read more about it here. Create report tooltip pages in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.