Skip to main content
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Regular Visitor

Error when i refresh data in PowerBi Desktop

I am not sure how to debug these errors. Is there a log to view? Unless someone has any idea as to what it is. In the applied steps i deleted "reordered columns", "kept errors", "added index" then applied and closed. Still getting the issue. Any help would be great!



Not applicable

In the left Queries pane of the 'Edit Queries' window, there will be a new query that will have a dated log of that error report.  It will operate similar to the other power queries you have, where you can step through it and see what is wrong.

EDIT:  Actually i can see it in your screenshot.  Look at the very top query.

So this is the query (when i open advanced editor)


Source = #"labtech v_xr_computers",
#"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "Row Number" ,1),
#"Kept Errors" = Table.SelectRowsWithErrors(#"Added Index", {"UserID", "ReportCompanyName", "ClientID", "ClientName", "ClientCompany", "ClientArea", "LocationID", "LocationName", "LocationArea", "ComputerID", "ComputerName", "ComputerFriendlyName", "ComputerRoles", "ComputerFormFactor", "ComputerIsServer", "ComputerIsVirtual", "ComputerChassisType", "ComputerOSType", "ComputerOS", "ComputerServicePack", "ComputerServicePackName", "ComputerOSFullVersion", "ComputerAssetTag", "ComputerSerial", "ComputerManufacturer", "ComputerModel", "ComputerMAC", "ComputerLocalIP", "ComputerRouterIP", "ComputerDomain", "ComputerDNSInfo", "ComputerLTVersion", "ComputerDateOSStart", "ComputerDateAddedLT", "ComputerDateLastContact", "ComputerUsername", "ComputerUptime", "ComputerCPUSpeed", "ComputerCPUUsage", "ComputerRAMSize", "ComputerRAMFree", "ComputerDriveSize", "ComputerDriveFree", "ComputerShares", "ComputerFlags", "ComputerContactID", "ComputerContactName", "ComputerContactArea", "ComputerAVScannerName", "ComputerAVAPSetting", "ComputerAVVirusDefs"}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Kept Errors", {"Row Number", "UserID", "ReportCompanyName", "ClientID", "ClientName", "ClientCompany", "ClientArea", "LocationID", "LocationName", "LocationArea", "ComputerID", "ComputerName", "ComputerFriendlyName", "ComputerRoles", "ComputerFormFactor", "ComputerIsServer", "ComputerIsVirtual", "ComputerChassisType", "ComputerOSType", "ComputerOS", "ComputerServicePack", "ComputerServicePackName", "ComputerOSFullVersion", "ComputerAssetTag", "ComputerSerial", "ComputerManufacturer", "ComputerModel", "ComputerMAC", "ComputerLocalIP", "ComputerRouterIP", "ComputerDomain", "ComputerDNSInfo", "ComputerLTVersion", "ComputerDateOSStart", "ComputerDateAddedLT", "ComputerDateLastContact", "ComputerUsername", "ComputerUptime", "ComputerCPUSpeed", "ComputerCPUUsage", "ComputerRAMSize", "ComputerRAMFree", "ComputerDriveSize", "ComputerDriveFree", "ComputerShares", "ComputerFlags", "ComputerContactID", "ComputerContactName", "ComputerContactArea", "ComputerAVScannerName", "ComputerAVAPSetting", "ComputerAVVirusDefs"})
#"Reordered Columns"


Not sure what the error is though. Or what it is trying to tell me to fix. My repot is still updating but the refresh still gets the same error. 

Not applicable

When you click on the error log queries, look into the Data view and look out for the fields with "Error" in them.  Clicking on the error gives you error messages.

I am getting a similar error when I import a SharePoint list and the error query seems to be applying the following steps; 


Source - the source data/list

Added Index - adds an additional Indexed column

Kept Errors - it appears to me that every column has an error??

Reordered Columns - moves the new Indexed column to the first postion


When the SharePoint list is already indexed by default with unique ID for each row why is this error appearing on some lists but not one others list from the same SharePoint site. Has anyone come across this?

SourceSourceAdded IndexAdded IndexKept ErrorsKept ErrorsReordered ColumnsReordered Columns

The errors have gone once I went back to the table in Edit Queries and formatted the columns to a number or text, etc so it appears Power BI throws up these errors when data type in each column is not defined correctly. 

Helpful resources


Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.


Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors