Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rjrn
Frequent Visitor

Error when SharePoint list is empty

I am pulling data from a SharePoint list (on premisse SharePoint), but when the list has no lines, I get an error "The column 'ID' of the table wasn't found".

let
    Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://SharePoint/List/", [ApiVersion = 15]),
    #"22acf0c7-df1f-4e36-b373-97f0aba7dd61" = Source{[Id="22acf0c7-df1f-4e36-b373-97f0aba7dd61"]}[Items],
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"22acf0c7-df1f-4e36-b373-97f0aba7dd61",{{"ID", "ID.1"}}),
    #"Expanded FieldValuesAsText" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "FieldValuesAsText", {"AssignedTo"}, {"FieldValuesAsText.AssignedTo"}),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded FieldValuesAsText",{"Id", "Title", "Modified", "Created", "Status", "Comment", "Priority", "StartDate", "DueDate", "PercentComplete", "FieldValuesAsText.AssignedTo"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Region", each "MCLA"),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "AI", each "MCLA3 - Top Deals sniper mode")
in
    #"Added Custom1"

The error is raised on the line #"Renamed Colums", since the Source on the line above returns no records.

Please help.

Regards, RN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rjrn
Frequent Visitor

After a lot of digging and testing, I found a solution to my issue. Sharing here for everybody else.

let

//Define the list ID
    #"SPSource" = Source{[Id="22acf0c7-df1f-4e36-b373-97f0aba7dd61"]}[Items],

//Check if Source is an empty table
//If yes, returns a table with a single row/column "Id=null"
//If not, does the rest of the code CheckEmpty = if Table.IsEmpty(#"SPSource") then #table( type table [Id = number], {{null}} ) else ( let #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"SPSource",{{"ID", "ID.1"}}), #"Expanded FieldValuesAsText" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "FieldValuesAsText", {"AssignedTo"}, {"FieldValuesAsText.AssignedTo"}), #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded FieldValuesAsText",{"Id", "Title", "Modified", "Created", "Status", "Comment", "Priority", "StartDate", "DueDate", "PercentComplete", "FieldValuesAsText.AssignedTo"}), #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Region", each "XXXX"), #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "AI", each "XXXXAINAME") in #"Added Custom1" ) in CheckEmpty

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
rjrn
Frequent Visitor

After a lot of digging and testing, I found a solution to my issue. Sharing here for everybody else.

let

//Define the list ID
    #"SPSource" = Source{[Id="22acf0c7-df1f-4e36-b373-97f0aba7dd61"]}[Items],

//Check if Source is an empty table
//If yes, returns a table with a single row/column "Id=null"
//If not, does the rest of the code CheckEmpty = if Table.IsEmpty(#"SPSource") then #table( type table [Id = number], {{null}} ) else ( let #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"SPSource",{{"ID", "ID.1"}}), #"Expanded FieldValuesAsText" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "FieldValuesAsText", {"AssignedTo"}, {"FieldValuesAsText.AssignedTo"}), #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Expanded FieldValuesAsText",{"Id", "Title", "Modified", "Created", "Status", "Comment", "Priority", "StartDate", "DueDate", "PercentComplete", "FieldValuesAsText.AssignedTo"}), #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Region", each "XXXX"), #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "AI", each "XXXXAINAME") in #"Added Custom1" ) in CheckEmpty

@rjrn I am new to PBI.  I am having the same issue, but looking at your text above, I am unsure how to edit my query.  Where do you get the APIVersion for the list as well as the list ID and the ID field number?

@rjrn actually I figured it out after I did some clean up on my table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.