Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kkim17
Frequent Visitor

Error This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without.

WOW1 = IF('Table Current'[WOW]=0,"Y","N")

A single value for column 'WoW' in table 'Table Current' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregation such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.

Don't understand as the column is filled with single integers of 1 and 0.

What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like you're trying to create a measure instead of a calculated column.  If you use the same exact code, but as a calculated column, you shouldn't have an issue.

The problem is that measures are calculated over the entire data set unless otherwise given a filter context.  So the error message in that case is accurate.

Hope this helps

David

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
aanyoti
Helper I
Helper I

Hi All,

Am relatively new to PowerBI and its currently working wonders for our business.

I am however stuck with creating a new column and getting the below error:

' single value for column in table cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values without specifying an aggregator such as min, max, count, or sum to get a single result.'

This is my formula:

Revenue = IF(VALUE('redmine custom_fields'[id])="100,102",(redmine_custom_values[value]))

I am trying to copy decimal numbers filtered from the existing column redmine custom_fields (with id 100 and 102) to the new column.

PLEASE HELP!!

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like you're trying to create a measure instead of a calculated column.  If you use the same exact code, but as a calculated column, you shouldn't have an issue.

The problem is that measures are calculated over the entire data set unless otherwise given a filter context.  So the error message in that case is accurate.

Hope this helps

David

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello! I used a similar formula with columns but is not working when I create a visualization object such as a table. If I put the column in the table, it shows an X with an error.

What I am doing wrong?

thanks

Hi @Anonymous  - I would suggest starting a new thread with your specific problem so we can help you out. This thread has been closed for some time.

That is a good explanation. Is there anything at all we can do to make it a calculated measure?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, 

I am experiencing this same issue.  I want to use a column of whole numbers to create a measure using calculate.  I tried creating a measure based on the new column and get the same error.  How to assign a filter context for that column?  Any other work arounds?  Thanks, Robert

Thank you! Your answer is really helpful for me!

This post is very helpful, I have clearly understand my problem.............................

Hand to PowerBI gods I created a column first and tried to implement a version of the if statement

And couldn't get it work.

Trying to get this work, it appears to be working now.: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/up-arrow-show-a-shape-based-on-a-formula/td-p/15823/page/2

Again thank you for your help and patience, for such a simple error on my part.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.