Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Error Connecting to SharePoint List (500): Internal Server Error

With no changes made to the source SharePoint list my report refresh started failing this morning with the error below.   I've had this happen on a different list and never found a fix for it.

Error:
DataSource.Error: Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'https://sharepointed.sharepoint.com/sites/fun-stuff/_api/Web/Lists(guid'9ab1335c-b8fe-1b99-be01-77d5...' (500): Internal Server Error
Details:
DataSourceKind=SharePoint
DataSourcePath=https://sharepointed.sharepoint.com/sites/fun-stuff
Url=https://sharepointed.sharepoint.com/sites/fun-stuff/_api/Web/Lists(guid'9ab1335c-b8fe-1b99-be01-77d5...

Connection steps:
let
Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://sharepointed.sharepoint.com/sites/fun-stuff", [Implementation="2.0", ViewMode="All"]),
#"9ab1335c-b8fe-4b23-be01-88d5f2c3320c" = Source{[Id="9ab1335c-b8fe-1b99-be01-77d5f2c3329c"]}[Items]
in
#"9ab1335c-b8fe-1b99-be01-77d5f2c3329c"

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, opened a ticket with Micorosft Premier support and they said it's a SharePoint issue.  SharePoint support said nothing can be done.  a lot of wasted time.
I thought the point of using the Power BI 2.0 connection to SharePoint was to leverage paging and avoid issues like this.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
DaFloDo
Resolver I
Resolver I

we had the same behavior on one of our lists, that had 20k items long time woking an suddenly did not work anymore.
We found, that there was an aggregation (count) set in the default view of the list. So even, if you use the "all" setting, which should ignore all view settings, the aggregation setting of the default view seems to result in an error.

So for us, removing the aggregation from the default view of the list, solved this issue.

This Solution worked for me thank you so much Sir for your help here.

Ola_G
Frequent Visitor

Hi, can you help me with this "removing the aggregation from the default view of the list" - how could I do it?

Thanks!

hi @Ola_G,
in the SharePoint list, in the upper right of the list, select the default view and then click on edit current view.

DaFloDo_0-1684314853915.png

if there is an aggregation for any of the columns, set it to "none". This was fixing the problem for us.

DaFloDo_1-1684315091862.png

Don't forget to save these changes

DaFloDo_2-1684315143531.png

Ola_G
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately didnt help 😞 but @DaFloDo thanks anyway!

PhilD
Frequent Visitor

You're kidding!! Am I to understand the Power Bi literally just stops working when a SharePoint list crossed the view threshhold and there is no solultion?

wodraeve
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing the same issue. Did anybody ever find the solution? Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, opened a ticket with Micorosft Premier support and they said it's a SharePoint issue.  SharePoint support said nothing can be done.  a lot of wasted time.
I thought the point of using the Power BI 2.0 connection to SharePoint was to leverage paging and avoid issues like this.

V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you have multiple queries and when refreshing, Power BI evaluate and refresh all queries at the same time.

This may be the cause of this error.

Please try turning off the parallel data loading in the options for data load.

Vlianlmsft_0-1636352379808.png

That will then not load the data in parallel but rather one at a time.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleared cache(s)
Updated the setting you mentioned
Createad a new report

Source:
SharePoint Online List
2.0 option
Selected the list

Same error noted above.

The 2.0 Implementation must be used due to the size of the SharePoint list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, im with the same error.

I noticed that the error started after the sharepoint list had more than 5k items. 
did u find any solution to this error?
in my case i need to switch conection too 1.0 and rebuild the views.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, there is no fix. 

If you scroll up you will see my response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.