Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AMZ
Regular Visitor

Dynamic table

Hello,

I'm trying to create a dynamic table in Power BI.

I'll give the context:

I have an Excel file with several data tables.
I have a Power BI dashboard with a visual Filter and each filter corresponds to a table in the Excel file. I would like the table to change depending on the filter selected, taking the right data from the right table in the Excel file (depending on the filter selected on the visual, the table should take the right table and display the right data on the report).

My idea:

I thought of creating a calculated table with a formula that would say: "If on visual X, filter Y is selected then my table is T1 otherwise my table is T2." Something like that. In my idea, I need to specify exactly which visual it is, either with the exact name of the visual, or with a unique id.

If this is not possible, can you suggest an alternative solution?

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

Create a new calculated table in Power BI using DAX. You can use the SWITCH function along with values from the selected slicer to determine which table to display.

DynamicTable =
SWITCH (
SELECTEDVALUE('SlicerTable'[TableType]),
"T1", 'Table1',
"T2", 'Table2',
"T3", 'Table3',
// Add more conditions as needed
BLANK()
)

Replace 'SlicerTable' with the actual name of your slicer table and 'Table1', 'Table2', etc., with the actual names of your data tables.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

View solution in original post

v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AMZ ,

You can add table names in a new custom columns to your tables, such as T1, T2, and so on. The tables are then combined. Then you have a column about the table that you can use as a filter.

vstephenmsft_0-1702528006195.png

You could add a slicer to your report that will allow users to select the filter criteria(table name column). This slicer will act as the mechanism to change the data displayed in your table visual.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AMZ ,

You can add table names in a new custom columns to your tables, such as T1, T2, and so on. The tables are then combined. Then you have a column about the table that you can use as a filter.

vstephenmsft_0-1702528006195.png

You could add a slicer to your report that will allow users to select the filter criteria(table name column). This slicer will act as the mechanism to change the data displayed in your table visual.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

123abc
Community Champion
Community Champion

Create a new calculated table in Power BI using DAX. You can use the SWITCH function along with values from the selected slicer to determine which table to display.

DynamicTable =
SWITCH (
SELECTEDVALUE('SlicerTable'[TableType]),
"T1", 'Table1',
"T2", 'Table2',
"T3", 'Table3',
// Add more conditions as needed
BLANK()
)

Replace 'SlicerTable' with the actual name of your slicer table and 'Table1', 'Table2', etc., with the actual names of your data tables.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In case there is still a problem, please feel free and explain your issue in detail, It will be my pleasure to assist you in any way I can.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.