Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mariopavic
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic column expand

Hi all,

I want to expand records column dinamically. Here is the code:

toExpand = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Table to expand", "newColumn name", ListOfNamesToExpand) // ListOfRecords contains a list with text values of each column to expand

If I do this from UI it takes 2 seconds to expand all rows, but I want to expand it dinamically because data can change upon refresh. When I use the code it takes around 6h for 250 results. Is there a faster way to do this or I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Mario 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mariopavic
Frequent Visitor

I didn't compare old vs new code but new one is way faster:

convertToList= Record.FieldNames(Record.Combine(List.Select(Table.Column(#"Removed Other Columns","newColumnName"), each _ <> "" and _ <> null))), 
ListOfNamesToExpand = Table.ExpandRecordColumn( #"Removed Other Columns","newColumnName", convertToList),

The problem was in creating the actual list. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mariopavic
Frequent Visitor

I didn't compare old vs new code but new one is way faster:

convertToList= Record.FieldNames(Record.Combine(List.Select(Table.Column(#"Removed Other Columns","newColumnName"), each _ <> "" and _ <> null))), 
ListOfNamesToExpand = Table.ExpandRecordColumn( #"Removed Other Columns","newColumnName", convertToList),

The problem was in creating the actual list. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Fabric Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.