Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

timtack
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Row Level Security for hierachy over multiple columns

Hello,

i have a task within my company to set up a PowerBI workspace. I taught myself the knowledge and learned a lot about measures. Before I start with the dashboards, I need to check if our requirement regarding row level security is suitable with PowerBI.

The data model should be adapted to the requirements. At the moment I got 2 fact tables:

1. The product structure with a hierarchy of 5 levels (level 2:highest with whole product; level 5 lowest hierarchy with each individual product) => columns (Level1, Level2, Level3, Level4, Level5). There is also a column for the product name. A row has a product name, when the smallest hierarchy is reached ( can be a level 3, but most common a level 5 => Level 1 in the hierarchy is the company itself, so no relevance
  2. The sales numbers regarding Level 5 items, associated with the Financial Year, regions and different cost categories (product name, different cost categories, sales, Financial Year)

These two tables are published once a year within my company. I only get the result and don’t have access to the roots of the informations.

For the data model, I created a fact table for:

• Financial year

I know this could be better, but I don’t see possibilities. Do you have suggestions here?

To come back with the RLS requirement:

Hundreds of users will have access according to their USERPRINCIPALNAME(). Users should have different permissions, e.g.

• User1 (e.g. Manager of product "A") is allowed to see all Data of Level 2 of product “A” an all related sub hierarchy items until Level 5.
  • Another case: User 2 is  allowed to see only Level4 of Product “C” an all related sub items of this specific hierarchy.
  • There should also be Users to see different items in different hierarchies, e.g. User 98 has permission to view Level 2 of Product “A”, Level 4 of Product “C”, and Level5 of product “D” and Product “F”.

There are many different Level 2 Items with individual Level 3 items and so on untill the lowest hierarchy Level 5.

I have to set up the permission table as well as the RLS. I can built the data model to fit the requirements.

The questions:

• How should I set up a dynamic RLS with a excel? What columns are needed/ do you recommend ? (I though dynamic RLS is a good way to go according to the users amount who have access an our company uses microsoft)
  • How should I set up the row level securities to meet the requirements?
  • Is there a possibility to have a concatenated path function for my hierarchy from level1 to level 5? Or which way should I go?

I researched a lot, but rarely found a solution that I can apply to my case with my actual knowledge.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

what you describe may be better served by static RLS.  Create a number of roles with their access patterns, and then assign users (distribution lists) to these roles. That way you  don''t have to chase the permissions for every single user.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
timtack
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much for your response and help. I tried to make it more complicated then needed, because our internal requirement is that our PB workspace should run as independet as possible.

Sorry for my late response, i was out of office for more than a week.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

what you describe may be better served by static RLS.  Create a number of roles with their access patterns, and then assign users (distribution lists) to these roles. That way you  don''t have to chase the permissions for every single user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.