Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brj122

Dynamic RankX measure works on table visual but not working when I try to apply to a map visual.

I have data which contains customer, location and sales information similar to this: 

CustIDLocIDSaleIDSales Amount
C0001L0001S01114500.5
C0002L0001S0112122.9
C0003L0001S01133210
C0004L0001S01142220
C0005L0002S0115595.5
C0006L0002S0116695
C0007L0003S01171925.8
C0008L0003S01182895
C0009L0003S01191180.4
C0010L0004S01201180.4

I am looking to Rank all distinct locations by [Sales Amount] descending and select Top % in set increments, selected in a slicer on the report and have this dynamic in that I can use other slicers and filters on the report page for instance that relate to the customer details or sales details to filter on, and the Top % ranking adjusts to those selection changes e.g. top 10% locations where the customers were a particular age group where I would select the top 10% in the ranking slicer, and age group in another slicer on the page listing customer age groups.

Here is an example of what the table in the report looks like: 

LocIDLatitudeLongitudeNumber of SalesTotal Sales AmountTotal Sales Amount Rank
L000157.331432-2.83447275£10,053.401
L000357.262429-2.64083863£6,001.202
L000257.282476-2.87704472£1,290.503
L000457.340327-2.61749271£1,180.404

I have created a measure like this to give me the ability to filter the table: 

TopPercLoc =
IF( ISBLANK ( [Total Sales Amount] ) ,
BLANK(),
IF ( ( RANKX( ALL ( ‘Table‘ [LocID] ), [Total Sales Amount], ,DESC ) - 1 
< ( CALCULATE( [DistinctLocIDs], ALLSELECTED(‘Table) ) * ‘Top %‘[Top%Value] ) ,
    "True" ,
    "False" ) )

NB the '- 1' after the RankX is a workaround as I have some customers with blank locations in the data at the moment but had sales amounts, this data quality issues will likely be sorted in future but for now the blank location has the highest total sales amount ang was being ranked as 1 in my table visual. I did the - 1 so that the blank locations become rank 0 and the first valid location with the highest total sales amount gets ranked as 1 and so on. I tried to use another IF in the measure to exclude the blank locations but couldn't get it to work - if anyone can suggest a fix for this to exclude the blank locations then that would be appreciated (but not my main issue).

The other measures being used in my table visual just for context are: 

[Total Sales Amount] = CALCULATE ( SUM (‘Table‘[Sales Amount] ) )
[DistinctLocIDs] = DISTINCTCOUNTNOBLANK(‘Table‘[LocID] ) )

The [TopPercLoc] measure returns True if a location is within the top % selection made and False if out with it. I added this measure to the table visual and then create a check measure which uses the CALCULATE( [DistinctLocIDs], ALLSELECTED(‘DataTable) ) * ‘Top %‘[Top%Value]. This gave me a value for the number of rows which are true based on selection and I could then scroll through the table to check that all rows to that row number showed as true and the rest showed false which the did. I then removed the [TopPercLoc] measure from the table visual and added it in as a filter on the visual instead setting it to include true only. This filtered out any of the rows showing false which is what I am looking for with the table and I figured that if I were to leave the measure in the table, it would set the top % of the top% already filtered down with true values and the rest with false so cant have it in the table visual and as the visual filter at the same time which is fine as my main aim was to show only the locations within the top % selected.

I am looking to add a map visual on the page next to the table to show the locations using their latitudes and longitudes and show the same as what appears in the table visual which is whatever top % sales amount rank is selected and the filtering from the other slicers select on the report page, the points on the map then will have size depending on the Sales Amount e.g. larger where higher sales.

The issue I am having is that I have tried to add the [TopPerfLoc] measure to the map visual as a filter and setting to filter to where "True" exactly the same as what I did with the table visual, but when i do this, the filter applies but the map visual has the swirling circle icon top right hand corner and just doesn't filter down to show only points on the map relating to the locations showing correctly in the table visual. When i filter by the other slicers on the page it does filter the points like it does with the table but the [TopPerfLoc] ranking part doesn't work.

Any ideas on where I am going wrong with this and the reason why it isn't working when I try to use it with the map? I'm not sure if my efforts at the measure are the best way of doing things its based on a few ideas that I tried out from what I had seen online already regarding RankX to have a go at it.

1 REPLY 1
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@brj122 , Based on what I got. Not very clear.

Assume you created Rank on Location and use anything else in visual like log/lat or legend, The rank will be inside that. In such case, the measure needs to use allexcept.

or add all columns to allselected of Rankx

rankx(Allselected(Table[Loc], Table[Long], Table[Lat]), [Measure],,desc, dense)

Measure Rank: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZb_6j6WuZ0&list=PLPaNVDMhUXGaaqV92SBD5X2hk3TMNlHhb&index=40

Power BI Rank Across dimension tables: https://youtu.be/X59qp5gfQoA

I think the new window function can do a better job or the TOPN filter at the visual level

Power BI Window function- TOP N% with Others: https://youtu.be/rQElaRoPbUA

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.