Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Rogermiddleton
Regular Visitor

Dynamic RLS with 2 different roles

Hi everyone,

I have an employee table that filters the other fact tabel. We want to implement RLS on the employee table as following:

NameE-mailE-mailmanagerIsManager
FredFed@outlook.com 1
JamesJames@outlook.comFed@outlook.com0
NancyNancy@outlook.comFed@outlook.com0

Role 1: Employee

Should filter the employee table as: [E-mail] = USERPRINCIPALNAME ()

Role 2: Manager 

Should filter the employee table as: [E-mail manager] = USERPRINCIPALNAME ()

I am using E-mail Distribution lists in the security of the Dataset. We only have lists which contain both employees and managers. So if we make 2 different roles and add the list to both roles we get an error message.

What we want to do now is implement 1 dynamic RLS role with the help of the added column [IsManager] (0 or 1). So USERPRINCIPALNAME should check column [IsManager] and then apply Role 1 Filter OR Role 2 Filter. It shouldn't filter on the [IsManager] column.

Is this possible and if yes what should the DAX formula be? Help is much appreciated!! (and if an other solution better fits our problem, we are happy to know)

Kind regards,

Roger

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Rogermiddleton 

After my test, you can try this:

[E-mail] = USERPRINCIPALNAME () || [E-mailmanager] = USERPRINCIPALNAME () 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Janey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi @amitchandak ,

Thanks for your reply. I found this blog, but the solution described lets a manager see the data of everyon below him/her in the entire path. So also 2/3 levels lowel. This doesn't work for us. The manager is only allowed to see the data from the employees directly 1 level below him/her.

Roger

Hi, @Rogermiddleton 

After my test, you can try this:

[E-mail] = USERPRINCIPALNAME () || [E-mailmanager] = USERPRINCIPALNAME () 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Janey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

February 2024 Update Carousel

Power BI Monthly Update - February 2024

Check out the February 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Fabric Career Hub

Microsoft Fabric Career Hub

Explore career paths and learn resources in Fabric.