Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Coriel-11
Resolver I
Resolver I

Dynamic M query parameters checkbox not showing in Options

Hi,
I'm trying to use Dynamic M query parameters but am falling at the first hurdle*. When I go to  File>Options and Settings>Options in Desktop, I'm not seeing the check box for "Dynamic M query parameters" under preview features.

I'm running the latest update of Power BI and am using a Pro license.

Is this something my IT team has inflicted on me, or is there anything I can do to fix this?

Matt

*I've followed this through in case it was now automatically incoporated, but the functionality itself is not working. In Data modelling view>Properties>Advanced, I'm not seeing a "bind to parameter" option

Coriel11_0-1650458278100.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Coriel-11
Resolver I
Resolver I

I eventually got to the bottom of this. There were 2 issues here:

1- This functionality only works with DirectQuery sources. If you're just wanting to pick a complicated Excel file from a SharePoint folder of identically laid out Excel/CSV files you can't do it.

2- If you are using a DirectQuery then this feature became "generally available" in the April 2022. Once this happens it no longer appears under File>Options and Settings>Options>Preview Features. This is the reason I couldn't even see the check box, which threw me off the scent (hence why I thought it might be down to our set-up).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BAllYouCanB
Regular Visitor

(I deleted by earlier post about the Dynamic M query parameters checkbox not showing in Options not being visible in the Preview Features section - given that it's now August of '23 I believe, from the original post, that it's now in General Availability)

That being said - I'm not able to set a parameter for either a Direct Query or an Import source. Is there something else I need to be doing to allow a stored procedure to use a list (or the result of a query) as an input parameter?

Coriel-11
Resolver I
Resolver I

I eventually got to the bottom of this. There were 2 issues here:

1- This functionality only works with DirectQuery sources. If you're just wanting to pick a complicated Excel file from a SharePoint folder of identically laid out Excel/CSV files you can't do it.

2- If you are using a DirectQuery then this feature became "generally available" in the April 2022. Once this happens it no longer appears under File>Options and Settings>Options>Preview Features. This is the reason I couldn't even see the check box, which threw me off the scent (hence why I thought it might be down to our set-up).

v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Coriel-11 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

This article writes how to enable dynamic parameters, 

vxiaotang_0-1651197829247.png

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

vxiaotang_1-1651197886862.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you @v-xiaotang.

That page (& its video) was actually one of the places I first started out and I suppose in a way it does contain the answer to my problem, but it also led me on a bit of a wild goose chase.

I came to it because I was trying to find a more user-friendly way of being able to change parameters in desktop when differing excel &/or csv files are bring pulled into Power Query. I use parameters all the time, but changing them is not straight fprward for non-techie people who don't otherwise use Power BI.

This seemed like the perfect solution, but, I eventually realised, it only works for DirectQuery sources. Moreover since this feature became generally available in the April 2022 (and once a feature "becomes generally available" it no longer appears under File>Options and Settings>Options>Preview Features) I couldn't even see the check box under File>Options and Settings>Options>Preview Features, so that threw me off for a bit.

Do you if there's a good reason why this functionality doesn't work for simpler sources? It would really be useful and it seems a bit odd you can't use for most of the common types of source regardless of whether they are dynamic.

Thanks,

Coriel.

Coriel-11
Resolver I
Resolver I

Just bumping this to see if anyone has any ideas. Have had it confirmed that our IT team hasn't deliberately deactivated this globally.
Matt

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.