Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

macattack1080
Regular Visitor

Dynamic Commentary - from a Table to a Visual

Hi,

I'm trying to replicate a comment table & matrix visualisation as done through the following link: https://zebrabi.com/dynamic-commentary-power-bi/

My understanding of it is as follows:

1. You create a comment table, using relevant parameters which may be useful for analysis (in my instance, I have the customer, which site they're at as well as which division they're in and finally the date & month/year etc).
  2. Once this is done, in order to accurately bring up the data in a matrix visualisation, you'd need a 1 to many relationship either way in order to have a value appropriate for a slicer i.e.
    • If my only parameter for analytical purposes was the account manager, I'd need to have a 1 to many relationship between my account manager (master) list and my comments table and a 1 to many relationship between my account manager (master) list and my main dataset (with all the financial data).

However, in practice when using the master data account manager field, I'm able to update my commentary but have lost the ability to filter on the customers that sit under a certain account manager - i.e. if there are 100 customers in total, Sarah looks after 10 of them but only 3 have comments for January, when I filter on Sarah's name I get the three comments but the financials for all 100 customers which is incorrect.

I know the question is quite abstract - potentially if someone was able to follow through the example from the above link and recreate with multiple variables... I don't know. I just know I have a 200k line data model where I want the ability to filter on variable x and have both the relevant commentary for the current month and the relevant list of customers/other variables show up and currently I have a disconnect. Could someone please provide either their best practice or some assistance?

Sorry again - first time poster and am unsure of how to add photos to more accurately describe the issue at hand. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Mike

1 REPLY 1
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @macattack1080 ,

I'm not clear about your data model.

But based on your description, this could be the problem of slicer filtering.

You mentioned that the tables are disconnected now, so you can create measures and apply it to the visual level filter of the slicer's corresponding visual.

If the problem persists,could you create a virtual sample pbix based on your data model and share the sample pbix via cloud service like onedrive for business?

Please remove any sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.