Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

romoguy15
Helper IV
Helper IV

DistinctCount wrong row total but correct grand total

Hello,

I have a measure where I am trying to get a unique count of trailer numbers. My correct grand total is 26. But my column total by return reason is showing up incorrectly. If I sum it up my self, it comes out to 30. I have sample data that is very simple. idk how I am getting this wrong. I know you can do countx and sumx to get totals by category, but I don't know how to incorrporate that with distinctcountx

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqID1H0nHPOzg3Ui9ufWS0M9ix3v?e=z1JGvH

romoguy15_0-1668202733697.png

4 REPLIES 4
djurecicK2
Super User
Super User

Hi @romoguy15 ,

Is looks like there are trailers with multiple return reasons like F5175. So in the first table, F5175 is counted under Carrier Failure and Store refusal, but the Total which does not have any return reason is 26. This is by design from the DistinctCount function.

The 2nd table comes from a summarization which if you do by itself gives the result below. There is no longer any reference to Trailer ID in this table, so the total (30) is just the sum of the uniquetotal column.

Summarized.PNG

Capture11.PNG

Pleas mark as accepted solution if this has solved the issue.

I didn't even catch that. Is there a way to create a duplicated calculated table using summarize to show the unique trailer numbers but only show one of the return reasons?

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @romoguy15 - you are seeing the correct Values for each filtered context.  However the description "total" is misleading.  Could you please consider reading and watching the following video.

Why Power BI totals might seem inaccurate - SQLBI

This was actually a really helpful article. I figured out how to summarize and give the total count to be correct at 29 in the grand total. I think since djurecicK pointed out that some of my unique trailers have two reasons, I have to figure out how to remove one of the reasons so it could total out to a unique count of 26. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.