Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VincentCWork
Frequent Visitor

Display all dates on a staked column chart

I'm trying to have all dates shown on the X-axis of a stacked column chart.

Couldn't find any setting to do so directly. The only thing I found was posts saying to change the x-axis from Continuous to Categorical. But if I do that, my data change drastically.

Columns seems to contain less different items and the total cost drop a lot. (Y-axis drop from about 3.5M to 0.5M).

VincentCWork_0-1684183507440.png

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreicated.

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@VincentCWork , Use X-Axis type as categorical

Axis_type.png

My post is specifying that when I switch to Categorical the data change.

Top graph is with Continuous, second is Categorical.

The order of magnitude is about 7 time smaller and the data is distributed quite differently.

I did try extracting the year and then building the graph based on the year only (instead of the full date), but both Categorical (and Continuous) graphs are the same regarless of if I use only the year or the full date.

@VincentCWorkThe X-axis date value will be displayed based on the visual width and the number of records in this date column. I see you are trying to show more than 10 years of data. I would suggest you apply a date filter to show the last 2-3 years of data if that makes sense. Another option will be, Use data hierarchy (Year/Month/Day) with drill-down.

If I understand correctly, there is no way to display all the years (we do require all 18 years in our analysis)?

As you suggested, I did try using it in drill mode, but I get the exact same graph as the Continuous graph using only the year (i.e. only multiples of 5 shown)
Do you have any clues as to why the data changes when switching the type?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.