Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Abale
Frequent Visitor

Direct query to Import mode

Hi Team,

Currently i am working with snowflake data connection with PowerBI Report. Now i am having diect connection and its taking lot of time to show the report when user change the filters and parameters. The current data would be > 90 millions.

1) How to create direct query to import mode?

2) what is you suggestion on this report? do direct query or import mode?

3) i removed all unused fields and what are the other approaches to improve the performance? 

Please provide some guidance on this.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Abale 

Here are my understand about your question:

Q1:How to create direct query to import mode?

If you're connected by Direct Query, you'll see the message "DirectQuery: Enabled (Click to Change)" in the status bar at the bottom right hand screen on Power BI Desktop:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1666664155274.png

Click on the message, then you should be able to change Direct Query to Import Model.

Q2:what is you suggestion on this report? do direct query or import mode?

For Direct Query, queries are sent directly like a data source, and the speed at which the report loads depends on the corresponding speed of the underlying data source. However, this mode sends queries in real time and does not require the configuration of scheduled refreshes.

For Import mode, it is to save all your data in a .pbix file, and report load is to directly obtain the data in the file, which is the fastest connection mode for report loading. However, this mode cannot display the latest data in real time, and you need to manually refresh or configure scheduled refresh.

For more information, you can refer to:

Power BI: Import Mode Vs DirectQuery Mode - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wik...

Q3: i removed all unused fields and what are the other approaches to improve the performance? 

For optimizing the loading speed of the report, you can refer to :

Power BI - Report performance best practices (datapears.com)

Optimization guide for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Abale 

Here are my understand about your question:

Q1:How to create direct query to import mode?

If you're connected by Direct Query, you'll see the message "DirectQuery: Enabled (Click to Change)" in the status bar at the bottom right hand screen on Power BI Desktop:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1666664155274.png

Click on the message, then you should be able to change Direct Query to Import Model.

Q2:what is you suggestion on this report? do direct query or import mode?

For Direct Query, queries are sent directly like a data source, and the speed at which the report loads depends on the corresponding speed of the underlying data source. However, this mode sends queries in real time and does not require the configuration of scheduled refreshes.

For Import mode, it is to save all your data in a .pbix file, and report load is to directly obtain the data in the file, which is the fastest connection mode for report loading. However, this mode cannot display the latest data in real time, and you need to manually refresh or configure scheduled refresh.

For more information, you can refer to:

Power BI: Import Mode Vs DirectQuery Mode - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wik...

Q3: i removed all unused fields and what are the other approaches to improve the performance? 

For optimizing the loading speed of the report, you can refer to :

Power BI - Report performance best practices (datapears.com)

Optimization guide for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hi Aniya Zhang, 

Thank you for your reply and i  will look-into this, it helps.

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.