Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

pbTrainee
Frequent Visitor

Direct Query Snowflake and Dynamic M parameters and Aggregations

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to Power Bi but have been given a task to investigate the possiblity of creating a report that shows aggregated values of tracking ids based on the user selection. 

The data is relating to messages sent some of which have errors, Column names relating are TotalMessages(measure to count distinct id) and TotalErrorMessages(measure to count distinct id where condtition) and around 30 columns with field names. The data is for the past 30 days and in its finest granularity contains >100 million rows. Previously the data was aggregated in snowflake and then connected to Power Bi. However this had no effect on the column TotalErrorMessages when filters were applied in the report regarding field names. I must be able have this TotalErrorMessages Dynamic based on the user selection. 

Problems: 
1. I must used Direct Query

2. Limited to 1million rows - so when selecting all the visual is out of resources

What I have tried: 

1. I created a procedure in Snowflake but I cannot call the procedure through direct query with SF only in import mode

2. Created Dynamic M Parameters- this works but I will need to find out some way of aggregating the data before I use it in the report as it exceeds the resources when multiple selections are selected by the user. 

What I have: 

1. I have access to the database to create procedures, tables etc

2. A company pro account

I have researched Aggregate Tables, Dimension tables but I dont know how it all fits in with my model as the data is one large table with the lowest granularity with user selection parameters. 

I dont necessarily need the exact answer here, I just need pointing in a direction that will give me some kind of success as I'm a complete novice. I have read all the documentation and spent countless hours googling but Im not sure Im searching for the right thing. 

Any help would be greatly apprecieated. 

3 REPLIES 3
pbTrainee
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply. This was my originial attempt, but the visual fails as it has exceeded resources. 

Examine the DAX Query plan with DAX Studio to see where this goes wrong. Probably a cross join somewhere.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Created Dynamic M Parameters- this works but I will need to find out some way of aggregating the data before I use it in the report as it exceeds the resources when multiple selections are selected by the user. 

Power BI will do that automatically for you, all visuals are aggregating by default. Do not include the unique row identifier in your visuals.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.